Author Topic: Is there a stamp somewhere on the subframe...?  (Read 6786 times)

TonyHuntimerRaceHome

• View Profile
Is there a stamp somewhere on the subframe...?
« on: May 23, 2009, 01:49:16 AM »
Hey guys,

Is there a date stamp somewhere on the subframe so I can find a date of build?  I have a strange 67 subframe on my 68. It has the round access hole for the late 67 on the passenger side and an early 67 frame rail plate on the drivers side without the access hole.  If I could find some sort of stamp on the frame, it might help pin-point when they changed over...since my frame must have been made right on the cusp of the change.

Here's your picture of the holes I'm refering to.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Is there a stamp somewhere on the subframe...?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:34 AM »
Very possible the sub frame was swapped. I know mine was after a crash by a previous owner. 67's and 68's are interchangable
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

TonyHuntimerRaceHome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 04:28:01 AM »
Very possible the sub frame was swapped. I know mine was after a crash by a previous owner. 67's and 68's are interchangable

Yeah.  My car was a parts car for a guy who was building another Camaro. I know it's not the original frame. It's not the original front sheetmetal either. The doors and deck lid are original...but that's beside the point.  :)  The reason I would like to check the frame for some sign of production is because the CRG states:
"Subframe style: A mid-year change was instituted for 67 Camaro subframes. Large holes (about 3-inch dia.) were placed on the inside surface of each front frame "horn" to provide access to bumper bracket nuts.
The earlier frames used a slot in the outer surface of the frame horn to hold a J-nut (clip nut) for the bumper bracketry. The transition period for this change appears be circa November/December of 1966; we are attempting to gather more data to further refine the implementation date. An interesting note is that some frames have been found with the large hole on one frame rail and none on the other rail. Apparently such frames were built during the transition period from one style to the other, while making use of all existing frame stock. If you have a Camaro built from October to December of 1966, we would appreciate your car data, via the CRG Forum, including a note on which frame style you have."

My 67 frame has one of each type of frame horn, which could possibly be right at the end of the change-over before production ran out of the early style stamped frame horns. If I can somehow determine what month my frame was made...it could help the CRG narrow the search on the subframe switch-over in late 1966.  If only my car was late 66 production Camaro...  :)

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 01:17:29 PM »
my interchange book says frames are "stamped on the outside left-hand side-member, just ahead of the bumper bracket attaching slot." stamp should indicate manufacturer, division of GM, build date and shift.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:34:54 PM »
my interchange book says frames are "stamped on the outside left-hand side-member, just ahead of the bumper bracket attaching slot." stamp should indicate manufacturer, division of GM, build date and shift.

I believe that notation only applies to full-size car full frames.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »

I believe that notation only applies to full-size car full frames.

What I have seen agrees with JohnZ's comment.  I helped a buddy of mine take a part a '67 LeMans and the LeMans frame was stamped on the top behind the driver side rear wheel and in front of the bumper.  As I recall the stamping included the words "PARRISH" and the date code.  My '66 Chevelle also has the date code on the sde frame rail directly below this location.  Never seen one on a Camaro sub frame.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Oaklyss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »
Here is the stamp from my 69, it is just in front of the left front tire, and has a paint stripe. Don't know if 68 is the same.  I decoded it as 3-20-69 on my 04A car

69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »
For clarification, the stamp that I referred to previously was a stamped impression into the metal of the frame of the LeMans, not a painted stamp.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS