Author Topic: Restore, replace, add to ????  (Read 7689 times)

genminmar

• View Profile
Restore, replace, add to ????
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:21:16 AM »
Hello to introduce myself, Genminmar, new to CRG, my first post. This I am sure has been covered before.   I own a 67RS YY and have had it since I conned the lady out of it at the grocery store back in 1975. I have learned a lot since the internet and all the books about restoration that have been available since back then. My car is pristine, never restored, although on the second paint job. Question? Would like to replace the cowl tag with two characters that were not included when the vehicle left assembly. Should I have a reproduction made or is there a service company that can impress onto my existing tag the two characters that I need. The characters are in the #4 and #5 positions of the options that were to have been fitted and listed at the factory. Also noted,  the tag says it came with power windows but they aint none on it. From what I know, if the parts bin was empty, they did not stop the assembly line and it went to the dealer without the ordrered option. As to what is not there , there are options on the car and they are not listed in the appropiate placement on the cowl tag, there is space there for the characters and I would like to have them included. What do you smart fellars think.

plasiter

• View Profile
Re: Restore, replace, add to ????
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 03:02:56 AM »
The cowl tag is the soul of the car.  Leave it alone.
1967 Z/28 - Factory Special Order Flambeau Red Paint (Close to Hugger Orange) in 1967!

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:13:18 AM »
Don't touch the cowl tag.  Others will chime in, but I'm betting the cowl tag is correct.

KB
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:35:07 AM »
x 3, leave it alone or you will destroy its "soul" as plasiter states. Who cares if options were added by previous owners and they are not on the trim tag? I am doing that to an SS350 car right now: added headrest seats, fold down seat, and remote mirror because the owner wants them..........RatPack.........
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
You know the history of the car all the way back to the 70s.  Have you traced back to the original dealer? Do you have the POP?  Was the lady you "conned" the original owner?  Leave the tag alone... but trace the car's history.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

genminmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
No, it does not have any options added to it. There are options on the car that were not defined on the trim tag. I was told it could have been because it had so many options, that some were grouped together. The dealer was in a local town near me, I live three miles from the lady I got it from, it was a graduation present for their daughter and yes, I have the Protecto-Plate. I just thought that it would be more accurate if the options that were on the car were rightfully on the trim tag, then I would not get questioned by others when this anomally rears up. It happened once and this guy thought he knew it all,  I said the car has never been touched. He thought otherwise. The only thing added I know of is a front curb tickler, other than that it has one broken door lock pop up knob. I am the second owner and would not add anything to the car, it was an ordered car and is loaded with options, for a girly car they sure got her more than she needed. They original owners were Japanese farmers, lemons and oranges and yes, they had the car painted like a lemon the second time around, it is so nice I have no reason to change it back to Butternut Yellow. I guess I will leave the tag alone, Thanks for the input genminmar

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »
If you replace or alter the tag, you through the whole car into doubt. Fake tags kill value. Post a good photo of the tag, and let the experts tell you what it says.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »
Leave it alone.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »
Some of the options could have been dealer added, and would not show on the tag. Let it be.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 03:06:23 PM »
Options were added at the dealer and would not be on the Cowl tag. Only original documentationof the order would show this. As for options being left off the car after stamping... I have heard it before but have not verified it. I recommend you posta pic of the cowl tag and see what the pros on here think. I certainly would not modify an original cowl tag in any way.

If it is a heavily optioned car and as untouched as you say, it would be great to see a listing of the options included. There are many interested on here that are looking for more information pertainning to very specific rarities for restoration and documentation sake.

Cheers,
John
68 07D SS350
John