Author Topic: Original Firestone Wide Oval Redline D70-14  (Read 6794 times)

scottb

• View Profile
Original Firestone Wide Oval Redline D70-14
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:41:44 AM »
I just found an original Wide Oval Redline tire in my parents barn. It's mounted on a 14X6 Ford steel rim and shows little if any signs of wear. The date code reads FOO1111E, I have no idea how to identify the date from this. A buddy of mine thinks it may be worth a bit because of it's date code for originality. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Scott.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Original Firestone Wide Oval Redline D70-14
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 04:18:55 AM »
A Ford nut looking for a spare tire might pay a pretty penny for it if it isn't dry-rotted. Can't help with the I.D., perhaps someone else can. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »
The original D70-14 redline is a hard tire to find in any condition, and it also depends on when it was made. They changed the location of the redline and moved it further in towards the wheel before they discontinued them in the late 70's. When Coker came out with that tire in reproduction form, they used the molds that were last used by Firestone so the redline is on the "inside" of the bulge instead of the outside. Are you sure that is not a Dodge/Plymouth wheel instead of a Ford wheel? I know of only two Ford/Mercury cars that used the D70-14 tire and they were the Maverick & Comet in 71-72, and neither had a redline as an option. Now there is no way to tell if that tire is original to that wheel either.......Chevrolet used that tire size for the 67 SS Camaro, and there were some other GM applications for it throughout the years. Can you post a picture of the wheel/tire?..............RatPack...............
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
If there's no "DOT" adjacent to that TIN (Tire Identification Number), that tire was made prior to 1968; if it has "DOT" adjacent to the TIN, it was made prior to mid-May, 1971.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »
I talked to my parents and they said the tire came off their old landlords 67 RS/SS Camaro. When he bought the car new, he replaced the original redline rubber with gangster white walls. He thought if he installed the tires on rims it would be better for storing them, that explains the "Ford" rim. Apparently, he used to use my parents barn as a storage bin. As JohnZ remarked, I can't see a "DOT" anywhere on the tire. Thanks for the help, what's it's value? Here's a few pics of it. I should have cleaned it first! Scott.
The original D70-14 redline is a hard tire to find in any condition, and it also depends on when it was made. They changed the location of the redline and moved it further in towards the wheel before they discontinued them in the late 70's. When Coker came out with that tire in reproduction form, they used the molds that were last used by Firestone so the redline is on the "inside" of the bulge instead of the outside. Are you sure that is not a Dodge/Plymouth wheel instead of a Ford wheel? I know of only two Ford/Mercury cars that used the D70-14 tire and they were the Maverick & Comet in 71-72, and neither had a redline as an option. Now there is no way to tell if that tire is original to that wheel either.......Chevrolet used that tire size for the 67 SS Camaro, and there were some other GM applications for it throughout the years. Can you post a picture of the wheel/tire?..............RatPack...............
:)

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »
i would love to have it as a spare for my 67 rs/ss. i dont have a value on it. i would think $100 or so.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »

anything