Author Topic: Blog compares 1st gens to the new 5th gen and is somewhat unkind...  (Read 19440 times)

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
http://www.examiner.com/x-10974-Kansas-City-Classic-Cars-Examiner~y2009m5d13-Driven--2010-Camaro-SS

Let him know what you think...

Driven! 2010 Camaro SS
May 13, 7:19 PM

Suddenly, it's 1969.  It looks similar, but it isn't.
I recently had a chance to drive the 2010 Camaro in both the V6 and SS versions, and the experience certainly was an eye-opener.

“But, Craig, why are you talking about this in the ‘classic car’ section?”  Good question.  And the answer really is pretty much skin deep.  Clearly, the styling of the 2010 Camaro was directly influenced by the ’69 model, and as a former owner of a nice first-generation Camaro, the comparison is inevitable.

And a little one-sided.  The only thing these two cars really have in common is the amount of attention they draw.  Let’s face it; an early Camaro is not among the highest-quality rides ever made.  Don’t get me wrong; the cool factor is out of this world.  Equipped right, they can sound mean, run fast, and look awesome.  They are everything you would ever want and expect a muscle car to be.  But if you’re being truly objective, they’re also cheap and tinny.  The seats are as thin as a stadium cushion and the trunk shuts with an unsatisfying clang.  And those brakes—let’s just say, brace yourself, ‘cause this is gonna hurt.

Not so with the new version.  This thing just oozes quality.  So much so, it not only surpasses the ’69 version, but it completely outclasses the last Camaro produced in 2002 in nearly every subjective and objective measure.  Just look at the details—the instrument panel, the seats, the fit and finish.  It’s all loosely retro, but completely modern at the same time.

The driving experience was equally as impressive.  Not a rattle, shake, or shimmy to be found.  The 6.2-liter V8, armed with more than 400-hp, is just as delicious as you would expect it to be.  The 300-hp V6 is no slouch either.  It’s not as satisfying as the V8, of course, but it can achieve 26-mpg on the highway, and blow the doors off of most cars on the road.

The new Camaro represents a different kind of history than those of the past.  One of the appealing parts of an old car is that you can imagine someone looking our over the hood all those years ago, watching the world change through the view of the windshield.  Where had the people been that sat in that seat?  Where had those hands worked that touched that steering wheel.  That car represents history, and you are a part of it.

On the other hand, the new Camaro shows what Chevrolet and General Motors has learned in forty years.  While giving a nod to tradition, it showcases the greatest in technology and engineering.  The idea that a company could take the same basic package and improve it to this extent says a lot about how far their products have come.  The ’69 Camaro will always be the favorite, but the 2010 is the best.
1968 Camaro RS/SS 350 Coupe

77thor

• View Profile
I have yet to drive the new Camaro, so I really can't comment on it,
but I have no real problem with what he says about the first gen's.

Modern cars are built better from the factory. It's a fact.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

Stingr69

• View Profile
We all love the first gen and many of us have been or are now owners. What he says has a ring of truth to it even if he has taken some editorial liberties with the facts. If you have never seen a 2010 Camaro in person, you should. Objectively, It is nothing at all like a first gen other than some styling cues. They look like cousins but they are more like grandpa and grandson if you ask me.  ;)  There is 40 years worth of technology and innovation going up against a larger than life historical legend. They each deserve respect but different reasons.

My 2010 Camaro has been built and I am waiting for it to be delivered in a few weeks.  :)

-Mark.

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
I agree...40 years of engineering will make the newer version a better performer and tighter car.  However, he makes the 1st gens sound like junk...and that's where I took offense.

My comments  (you can leave your comments on the blog too):

You're off base in regards to the 1st gens.

"Let’s face it; an early Camaro is not among the highest-quality rides ever made." - Theres something to be said about these cars being on the road 42 years later...lets see where the societal throw-away 2010 Camaro is in 42 years.

"But if you’re being truly objective, they’re also cheap and tinny". - Hardly...a Kia is cheap and tinny. GM cars of the 60's were made with thicker steel skins...not the lean on and dent body panels of today.

"The seats are as thin as a stadium cushion and the trunk shuts with an unsatisfying clang". - Not in my experience.

"And those brakes—let’s just say, brace yourself", - My 68's discs work just fine. No ABS is the only drawback I can see.

A 5th or even 4th gen may be faster, handle better and stop quicker...but they will NEVER be a 1st gen. 67-69 1st gens will always be the best and most coveted Camaros.

maroman

• View Profile
Some of what he says MAY be true, but let's see them sell over 200,000 a year like the first gen Camaros
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
   I'd say that blogger had better reserve judgement until the service problems and recalls begin showing up on the 2010. Wait-----there already IS a recall! As far as i know, no 1st-Gen was ever recalled because it might set itself on fire. Is the 2010 a triumph of technical achievment? Absolutely. Is it superior to the 1st-Gens? We don't know yet.
   With all the computers and tires and techno-wizard stuff in cars these days, they could make an anvil run and handle like a '66 Lotus Indy car. Duh.
   My guess is this blogger is an arrogant, wet-behind-the-ears little snot who has never experienced what the 1st-Gens are all about. Will the 2011 win 10 out of 13 races like Penske did with the '68 Sunoco Camaro? I doubt it. Will there be a 2010 mid-year release Z/28 that turns the auto world upside down? I doubt it. Will rogue dealerships like Yenko, Bill Thomas and Fred Gibb stuff a mega-inch engine in some 2010s and create a Frankenstein machine? I doubt it. Will GM ever COPO such machines again? I doubt it.
   Yes--the 1st-Gens handle like plowing pigs compared to today. No--the 1st-Gens were not that sophisticated compared to today. Touche'. But in their day, they threw gasoline on the ponycar fire that Ford started with the Mustang, and the F-body Muscle Car wars were born. You could WORK on a 1st-Gen and create your own Frankenstein without having to earn a college degree in electronics. That is their charm, their allure and their grace. Z/28s could be ordered with headers in the trunk in a burlap bag...a dual-Holley crossram could be bought over-the-counter...396s could be ordered with exotic aluminum heads and solid-lifter cams. All in the window of about a year and a half, by the way.
   I've had a first-hand look at a 2010. If you want to talk about quality control, well, GM must be skimping on paint, because most of the underhood and trunk areas were barely covered and showing primer and there is no clearcoat on the thin paint there. The interior is mostly plastic trim that will warp in the hot sun.
   So, the 2010 shares quality control issues the 1st-Gens did. They are not perfect by any means.
   Like maroman said---when they sell over 200,000 2010s, they'll be legitimate. If, and until they do, they're just pretenders. Very nice cars--but a couple of years from now we'll know if they've been accepted with the frenzy the 1st-Gens were.

HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
Well said Hotrod68!
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
Excellent post... though I know this guy is a fan of the old cars.  He's GM hard-core to the bone.

Do you have a link to the recall already in effect for the 2010, I'd like to have that.  :)

I'd say that blogger had better reserve judgement until the service problems and recalls begin showing up on the 2010. Wait-----there already IS a recall! As far as i know, no 1st-Gen was ever recalled because it might set itself on fire. Is the 2010 a triumph of technical achievment? Absolutely. Is it superior to the 1st-Gens? We don't know yet.
   With all the computers and tires and techno-wizard stuff in cars these days, they could make an anvil run and handle like a '66 Lotus Indy car. Duh.
   My guess is this blogger is an arrogant, wet-behind-the-ears little snot who has never experienced what the 1st-Gens are all about. Will the 2011 win 10 out of 13 races like Penske did with the '68 Sunoco Camaro? I doubt it. Will there be a 2010 mid-year release Z/28 that turns the auto world upside down? I doubt it. Will rogue dealerships like Yenko, Bill Thomas and Fred Gibb stuff a mega-inch engine in some 2010s and create a Frankenstein machine? I doubt it. Will GM ever COPO such machines again? I doubt it.
   Yes--the 1st-Gens handle like plowing pigs compared to today. No--the 1st-Gens were not that sophisticated compared to today. Touche'. But in their day, they threw gasoline on the ponycar fire that Ford started with the Mustang, and the F-body Muscle Car wars were born. You could WORK on a 1st-Gen and create your own Frankenstein without having to earn a college degree in electronics. That is their charm, their allure and their grace. Z/28s could be ordered with headers in the trunk in a burlap bag...a dual-Holley crossram could be bought over-the-counter...396s could be ordered with exotic aluminum heads and solid-lifter cams. All in the window of about a year and a half, by the way.
   I've had a first-hand look at a 2010. If you want to talk about quality control, well, GM must be skimping on paint, because most of the underhood and trunk areas were barely covered and showing primer and there is no clearcoat on the thin paint there. The interior is mostly plastic trim that will warp in the hot sun.
   So, the 2010 shares quality control issues the 1st-Gens did. They are not perfect by any means.
   Like maroman said---when they sell over 200,000 2010s, they'll be legitimate. If, and until they do, they're just pretenders. Very nice cars--but a couple of years from now we'll know if they've been accepted with the frenzy the 1st-Gens were.

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
I can't post the link but I can e-mail anyone a copy of the service bulletin if they would like.

Cory

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
The service bulletin # is 09121A Apparantly the positive battery cable may rub the starter housing, causing a short to ground. Only on V-8 models. Customers are not to drive them until the recall is completed. It involves using special insulating tape on the cable.

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
Re: Blog compares 1st gens to the new 5th gen and is somewhat unkind...
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
It affects vin# sequence A9000406-A9106537 V-8 models

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »
Interesting...thanks!   So much for that higher quality and engineering.   :P

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »
None of you seem to remember the giant motor mount recall on late 60's cars including our sacred first gen Camaros. - The car would take off at full speed WOT and the only way to stop it was to turn the ignitiion off or pop it out of gear and let the engine rev to the moon.  :o

Recalls are not a new thing here.

BTW - the 2010 Camaro also has had other problems. The computers needed to be reflashed and the front brake calipers on SS models have had lead weights added to the early units to reduce noise problems. GM has been fixing them before they even ship them out. No big deal guys. They just want them to be the best cars possible before they give them to the customers.

-Mark.

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 08:06:49 PM »
GM made it's best car's from 1955 to 1974 after that you are just buying a car with chevrolet emblem's on it , I wish they would have either made a new camaro or not used the camaro name on the cadillac looking car they are using the camaro name on for 2010 , FORD made a new mustang that look's like SURPRISE ! A MUSTANG plymouth made a challenger that look's like SURPRISE ! A CHALLENGER ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and so chevrolet made a camaro that look's like A CADILLAC !

I don't have a problem with the car itself it is a nice modern looking car just like every other nissan diwhangzu or isuzu you see on the road today , I just wish they would not have used the camaro name on it , if they were not going to make the car look like a camaro they should not use the name , just like in mid 1970 ! WHAT WERE THOSE GUY'S SMOKING ?

the quality and feel of 60's era GM car's will never be matched , today's car's are just cheap plastic transportation , I have often wondered how good a 67 68 or 69 camaro would have been when new as the are WAY better vehicle's now than new car's and they are 40 year's old , another thing is that you can work on them , my 67 has given me 90K mile's over the last 10 year's with only oil and filter change's and 2 set's of point's plug's and wire's , as far as a dependable vehicle the 60's GM car's and truck's are all but bullit proof ,
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 08:07:12 PM »
I would still definetly own one of the SS models regardless of the recalls. Would NOT replace the greatness of the first gen though.