Author Topic: big block motor mount help  (Read 3771 times)

crownroyal58

• View Profile
big block motor mount help
« on: July 31, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
I have a 69 camaro that is not an original big block car. It now has a big block in it, but it appears to me the engine is located foward to much. The Z-bar is running at a foward angle rather than being straight, and there is plenty of space betwwen the fire wall and engine. Also the transmission does not use the original holes for the mount, new holes have been drilled in front of the original holes. The motor mounts dont appear to me as to being able to move, and i noticed one is taller than the other and the taller one is located on the r.s. (passenger) of the frame.
Has anyone come across this, or maybe know what can be done to correct this?

Thanks, Mike

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: big block motor mount help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:11:50 PM »
From my experience, you need ALL the right stuff to make it work right.

The engine stands are different for a BB engine and they are designed to set the engine a little bit off-set from center. They bolt to the frame. The motor mounts are part of the locating system so they need to be right as well. If you have the right stands and mounts, the shifter mounting bracket needs to be right as well or it will not locate properly in the floorpan causing issues with console fit. They all work together. You can bolt it in with small block stuff but that makes for alignment problems, vibration problems, fit problems, etc.

-Mark.

crownroyal58

• View Profile
Re: big block motor mount help
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »
My frame mounts are new and the right side sits taller than the left, the engine mounts are new also, but i am not the one that made this change so i'm not sure if they are correct. Do you know of ant specific part or part # that should be used?

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Kurt S
CRG