Author Topic: will this hurt the value of my 69 Z  (Read 7984 times)

svtrich

• View Profile
will this hurt the value of my 69 Z
« on: May 03, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »
I have a mathing #s 69 z28 RS and I was thinking about putting on an aftermarket balancer on the engine since its on the stand still. The other is power windows,I deluxe interior I thought power windows would be cool but will this devalue my car even if I keep the old stuff?
                                                     Richard

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: will this hurt the value of my 69 Z
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:13:02 AM »
As long as you keep everything and it doesn't prevent you from being able to go back without noticing anything, I don't see a problem with it.  There are some people on here and TC that have their original engines on a stand in a corner and have some other engine in the car.
68Z28

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:00:20 AM »
Probably not... but do hold onto the old stuff.  If and when you decide to sell it, the value will ultimately be up to the buyer, and some folks are still looking for original.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 07:46:06 PM »
If you use factory style window switches, you will have to cut ALL your deluxe door panels!  I would save the original door panels (with the window guts) and buy repros and cut them instead.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:30:28 AM »
I have ssen advertised, electric window switches that look, and fit like regular window cranks but they control the electric windows, with a touch up or down.  Probably offered by more than one vendor.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 05:02:08 PM »
DONT FORGET THAT YOU HAVE TO DRILL THE DOOR PILLARS AND THE DOORS TO RUN THE WIRING. DONT DO IT!
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 02:40:08 AM »
must be pretty lazy not to be able to crank that window.  then again all my newer cars have them?

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 02:12:29 AM »
To answer your question, adding electric windows will most likely hurt the value of your ride when marketed as an original.
The originals have a tendency to bring the most at auction with the exception of full blown customs. High dollar customs have a smaller market though and unless you will go all out with it the window change will probably not be a positive. If you absolutley have to, save the panels and cut after market ones. The originals are very expensive and hard to find in good condition.

The balancer will probably only be noticed by a points judge. I always lean towards making sure it runs well over using the original mechanical part no one will probably notice. But original GM can help for value later.
68 07D SS350
John

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 04:10:07 AM »
As long as you keep everything and it doesn't prevent you from being able to go back without noticing anything, I don't see a problem with it.  There are some people on here and TC that have their original engines on a stand in a corner and have some other engine in the car.
I think he meant to put an aftermarket harmonic damper on the engine.

You don't have to do that, Richard. Send the original to Damper Dudes in California. They will rebuild it by vulcanizing new rubber into it.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »

I think he meant to put an aftermarket harmonic damper on the engine.

I was just providing an example of the extremes to which people go to keep original parts and make sure they can return the car to it's original state if needed.
68Z28

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 02:50:01 PM »
I took my original DZ302 and Muncie out of my car and put it away and put a 427 SB and TKO600 in the car . I also put Vintage air and power windows . If you have a console car the power windows are easy . I put my original console away , got a repro and mounted the four switches where the seat belt recievers go . This car is so much fun to drive with a pump gas motor and 5 speed.

If you drive your car a lot like I do these are great mods to make. However if you do not drive your car much I would really think twice about making those changes.
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

anything