Author Topic: Ok Guys - Help Me Decide the Stripe Color for my Special Order Paint 67Z!!!  (Read 18154 times)

NED

• View Profile
Well Paul it is your call in the end, but white striped would be more correct according to the existing documentation for the 67 Zs. Probably would get less grief from the experts if you followed current wisdom, considering you have no evidence to dispute that. I would not go with no stripe even though the paint research on the car would provide a good argument. Stripes will make the cas and my vote, for what it's worth, would be for white. Can't wait to see the car. Make sure you look me up at Carlisle and bring pictures.    Bill C.
Bill
67Z Bench seat
69JL8 Burnish Brown
67 camaro modified ls1,6 speed, 9 "rear

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
I think it would be wicked to have an Orange 67 Z with no stripes... the ultimate sleeper, no spoiler, ralleys, no call outs, it even has the down turned exhaust so it doesnt call out duals... awesome! you could always add the stripes later, try the solid orange, you can't go backwards. It will look like Kevn S's Orange 68 Dana Camaro 427 tripower car...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Looking at your pictures above, and you say there was no definite black or white paint found in the cowl section then I would not put any stripes on the car as it does not appear it ever had them from the factory. As firstgenaddict states, you can always add the stripes later. Have you found any original pictures of the car or previous owners?.............RatPack....................

***If I had a choice of stripe colors on that orange it would have to be black.............
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

z28302dz

• View Profile
None.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
I've always liked the black over orange myself, but it's pretty cool that you are able to go whichever way you want and still be "correct".

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
All of the original data that we've put together over the past 21 years in running the '67 Z28 registry has shown that stripes could not be deleted.  To my knowledge, stripe delete cars were not availavle until the 1969 model year.

What I would do Paul is try to locate people who worked at Clippenger Chevrolet and ask them too.  Maybe this will bring some answers.  Clippenger sold several cars in this color and someone has to know what went on there.  With all of the tools and Internet, I would make this a research priority.  Someone at Clippenger was smart enough to order these special order paint cars to help push special models.

The car will also look much better with stripes too.  That was the whole identity with a Z28.  Without it, these cars are very bland.

Jerry

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
Have you asked Bob Wingate? Since he ordered and sold your car when it was new, maybe he remembers about the stripes...

Jerry... the cars that were ordered with out stripes in 67 yet were delivered with them... did they have the OO on the trim tags or were they coded with Alpha Paint Codes?
James
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Out of the 200 cars in the registry, Paul's is the only '67 Z28 OO paint code car.

Jerry

69z28rsbilly

• View Profile
 Go with the white stripes........
X33 72 72 RS
X33 71 71 RS
X33 10 10

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
Were any of the other cars with "RPO paint codes" ordered sans stripes?
If they were ordered with out stripes OR "special paint" yet didn't receive OO paint codes isn't it possible that they were painted per normal practice like any other Z28 with STD paint codes?
James

plasiter

• View Profile
Well, yesterday I talked to Bob Wingate who ordered and sold my car originally back in 1967.  Unfortunately, Bob did not have any "specific" recollection of the stripe color on my car.  He did seem to think that it came with stripes.  But, he could not say for certain what color they may have been.  His best recollection (from one day 42 years ago), was that it had black stripes.  He said he would look through his documentation and pictures and see if he could find anything specific on my car's appearance way back in the day.  He did remember ordering my car, and some other high performance cars in the orange paint color.  I do know that the car that was produced immedialty after mine was an SS 350 or 396 in the same color.  I do have some pictures of that car - it was in pretty rough shape when it was sold on ebay a while back.

Thanks for the research ideas and opinions on what I should do next.

I was on the east coast last week and saw the car in person on 5/13/09 - its looking great.  Color will go on in the next 2 - 3 weeks.  That's pretty exciting.  I'll post a couple of pictures when that's done.

Paul

1967 Z/28 - Factory Special Order Flambeau Red Paint (Close to Hugger Orange) in 1967!

anything