Author Topic: Ok Guys - Help Me Decide the Stripe Color for my Special Order Paint 67Z!!!  (Read 18155 times)

plasiter

• View Profile
Hello CRG Community:

At long last, we're getting very close to putting paint on my 67 Z/28.  This car was originally painted Hugger Orange (or very close to it....) in 1967 as a special order paint car.  This car DID NOT have a vinyl top.  During the stripping / body work process, we could not find ANY evidence of either black or white stripes on the car.  Nonetheless, I've come to believe that a Z/28 had to have / generally could not have come without / NEEDS stripes to say "Z/28." 

Being that this is a special order paint car, I suppose that it COULD have come with either black or white stripes.  I've also learned that in 1969 Hugger Orange Z/28's HAD to have white stripes unless they were ordered with a black vinyl top, in which case the car would have black stripes as well. 

But - since this car was made in 1967 - and again its a special order paint car - could it be "correct" with either black OR white stripes?  What would you do?  What do you think would be most "correct?" 

Thanks for helping me with this decision.

Paul

1967 Z/28 - Factory Special Order Flambeau Red Paint (Close to Hugger Orange) in 1967!

maroman

• View Profile
If the orange you took off was the original paint and there was no evidence of stripes that's how I would do it.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

fireZ

• View Profile
Paul was the car original paint or is there a chance the car may have been stripped to bare steel earlier in its life? ???
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

fireZ

• View Profile
I meant too say could the original stripes be gone because of this.
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Paul, what color is the interior?

Paul

plasiter

• View Profile
To answer the questions to date:  1) The original paint was still on the car - it was NOT stripped prior to resortation.  The orange was visible everywhere - but the car HAD been repainted at least 2x before.  It is possible that during the past repaints, the stripes were stripped or sanded off so that the next coat of new paint would be smooth.  (couldn'r feel any evidence of stripes)  At any rate - again, NO STRIPE color was evident.  Some say they beleive the car did not ever have stripes, but others say as a Z, it HAD to have come with stripes.

2) This car came with a black standard interior.

Thanks for your input!

Paul
1967 Z/28 - Factory Special Order Flambeau Red Paint (Close to Hugger Orange) in 1967!

maroman

• View Profile
If it had white stripes, as it should have, you would have found eveidence of overspray SOMEWHERE. I still vote no stripes, let the experts at the shows figure it out. Was the orange the truck color?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Hugger orange with black interior, no vinyl top, don't know what was original, I would lean towards black stripes.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

fireZ

• View Profile
Paul was there any sign of white paint down in the wiper cowl area? I think white would be the cleaneast look on the orange.
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Paul -

My vote is for black stripes!  Stripes are the signature of a Z/28, especially a '67.  I'd go with black to match the interior color.  My Z/28 has white stripes with a parchment (white) deluxe interior.  It's all original but people who don't know Camaros asked me all the time if I customized one or the other to match.  They're amazed when I tell them it's all factory.  Good luck with your choice!

Paul 

plasiter

• View Profile
For a long time I thought the original orange color was the GM Truck color #516 "Tangier Orange."  But - last June that theory was put to rest.  The original color was Hugger Orange (see picture).  The computer matched color (the original color is on the drip rail) was "Flameau Red" that was virtually idential to Hugger Orange.  In the picture you can see the original color on the drip rail and Hugger Orange as well as Flameau Red spray-outs.

We did look long and hard around the Cowl area, and all I can say for certain is that no one saw white.  If anything, there MAY have been areas that had been black - but it was REAL hard to tell.

I really appreciate the input received thus far - keep it coming!  Thanks to all.

Paul

69z28302

• View Profile
Paul ,your cars looking great by the way. I saw this picture on the Lucas web site. It looks like to me there is no evidence of any stripes. Did Team Lucas think the car had stipes from the factory? It being a special paint car it may have been a stripe delete car. If you cant find evidence of stripes I'd say "NO" to stripes. Either way your got a super rare car. Cant wait to see it finished.

Mike

plasiter

• View Profile
Well, "Team Lucas" coundn't say definitively if the car did or did not have stripes from the factory.  But - everyone agreed that there was NO EVIDENCE of stripes found on the car.  No evidence does not mean that stripes were not there at one time.  I don't want to speak for Jerry MacNeish - but he was emphatic that as a Z/28 - it had to have had stripes from the factory.  He told me about some Z's that were ordered "stripe delete" in 1967, but when they showed up at the dealer, the stripes were there.  I suppose that as a special order paint car - things COULD have been different for this car - and the "normal" 67 Z/28's have to have stripes "rule" may not have applied.  I've come to a place where I THINK I can do whatever I want to the car (no stripes, black or white stripes) and "technically" be correct.  I started this thread just to get some other opinions on what others might do in my place.  Thanks for any advice/opinions.  Paul       

77thor

• View Profile
I would go with 'white' stripes..... just because IMO it's a better color combo.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

jk1969z28

• View Profile
Hi Paul,

I would go with White without question if it was mine, black stripes on the 1969 Hugger Orange to me takes away from the orange, and the white stripes makes it look brighter.  Just my two cents.

Jerry K.

anything