Author Topic: finally put the 140 cam in my Z... wow.. shoudl have done that 4 cams ago LOL  (Read 13633 times)

aaronz28

• View Profile
so after 4 cams, 2 sets of headers, 2 different carbs, 3 different exhaust systems, I'm finally happy with the way my Z runs.

should have listened to MacNeish 3 year ago LOL....
special thanks to Jerry though for helping get the carb tuned in... i'm sure it still needs fine tuneing, but i ain't gonna do that without a dyno, or a racetrack.

i did an epic post over at Camaros.net with videos and the history of my cam swaps and what I learned...
there are two posts.. one talking about an UDHarold Cam in my 302, and the other about my journey ending happily with the 140.

at the end of the day, with 11 to 1, wideratio muncie, 4.10 gears, headers... the 140 cam is an absolute dream to drive in a 302.
very nasty street car with more than enough torque to move you from stop light to stop light, and enough vaccuum to stop the car in the parking lot.

Thanks

Aaron

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Aaron, years ago I had a bud who had a 140 cam in a '68 with a 327 with 11:1s, 461 heads, old Edelbrock TM-1, headers, wide-ratio Muncie and 4:11s. That thing was nasty. It sounded just wicked at idle, and corked-up would run mid-13s all day long on BFG T/As. If he'd have dropped the mufflers and bolted on some slicks the car would likely have sneaked into the 12s! Long live the incredible 140 cam!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

aaronz28

• View Profile
HI,

I was really worried that it would just be a disaster to drive around town below 3000 rpm... but it is quite the dream to drive.

When I had the car on the Dyno 2 years ago, it had the 30-30 cam in it, a set of the Kustom 1 3/4 headers, a pypes exhaust system, and an 830 AED Eliminator Holley... it made 301 rwhp, which the dyno operator said would put that car at 12.8-12.9 based on his experience.

we didn't do any tuning at all, in fact I wasn't even planning to dyno the car... i know the timing wasn't optimum, nor had the valves been lashed recently... additionally, the 830 AED wasn't even close to being jetted properly for that motor..

fast forward to today,
same car, same motor, I now have the 140 cam, factory DZ holley on it,  1 5/8 Hooker Comps and a Gardner Chambered Exhaust from the headers back...

I can say with utmost certainty, that the car pulls much harder now, and I have a much more restrictive exhaust on the car now than I did when it was dynoed.

I think I read that JohnZ dynoed the same car that went from a Chambered Exhaust Car to a Transverse System and picked up 25 HP at the Rear Wheels??? If that is accurate, then I'm really leaving HP on the table with my current header/exhaust setup.

My ultimate goal is to get this car to make the most usable power with Factory Components that were available as GM parts at the time. I'm going to reinstall the Kustom 1968 Headers on the car at some point. The crossram will probably see service down the road, but after i solve the header/exhaust predicament.

The only issue then to solve would be what exhaust system to use that is both free flowing and factory appearing.

Nothing has the fit and finish of a gardner system, but there is alot out there that leaves them in the dust for performance minded people.

I'm probably going to look at Waldron Exhaust... they just reproduced the "Offroad" corvette system for the 63-67 Corvettes.
They make the resonators and transverse mufflers in both OE and 2.5 sizes that are factory appearing, but use their Impostor technology, which is a tad louder but has less baffles and should be significantly less restrictive than an OE system.
I just cant tolerate a "Drone" which my car doesn't do now.

69z28302

• View Profile
Aaron, I'm glad your happy with this choice. Is the 140 the first design? What are the spec's? Who sells this cam now? I'm in process of rebuilding my   302 now.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:06:19 PM by 69z28302 »

aaronz28

• View Profile
hi MIke,
the 140 is the first design.

Crane was making the blueprints for GMPerformance.

I talked to Predator Cams a while back and they had the master as well.

I'm sure it is easily available.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Use Camp Cams.  Bigger cam company and they use good cores, precision equipment and parkerize the cams when ground.

Jerry

qwertyme77

• View Profile
Use Camp Cams.  Bigger cam company and they use good cores, precision equipment and parkerize the cams when ground.

Jerry

Is that "camp" cams, or "comp" cams as in Competition Cams (compcams.com)?

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Sorry, Comp Cams.

Jerry

69z28302

• View Profile
Aaron, did you say on TC that you advanced the cam 6 degrees?

Mike

aaronz28

• View Profile
well, the cam has 4 degrees gound into it, and I advanced it another 4 at the crank...

when it was degreed in, it showed 6 degrees advanced.

I know guys who advanced their old 30-30s as much as 8 degrees and loved it LOL

A

Classic Gary

• View Profile
i should have waited a week or so to sell my Crane blueprint "140" on eBay, i'da maybe made a few more $'s. Oh well, LOL............
opinions are like wallets, some just aren't worth stealin'.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Depending on the lobe center, I would install straight up. 

The 30-30 is ground on a 114 lobe center.  What I run in the race car now is on a 112 CL.  Years ago, we used lower lobe center numbers (106-108) but this does not make good mph and hp on the upper end.  I have enclosed one of my dyno sheets from one of my Stock Eliminator engines.  This engine in the new '67 Z28 race car missed the NHRA national record for D/Stock by .008 of a second.  And that was only the second time out for the new car.  Notice how much hp is made up above 7000 rpm.  Having a 112 lobe center also gives you more piston to valve cleanace.  This is cam with less than .485' lift, stock heads, pistons, intake and carb.

Jerry     

aaronz28

• View Profile
thats incredible...

where did you start the pulls?

i'm assuming there is no duration limint on the .485 lift???

that has to be about 280 at .050 or something nasty like that isn't it?

A

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
It's on the sheets, started at 5500 and ran to 8100.  Duration is 262 and 272,

This camshaft kicks.......As.  Ben Wenzel actually shared this info with me because we've been friends for so many years.

Jerry

aaronz28

• View Profile
wow, thats really about the same size as the 2nd design cam with a tad less lift...

awesome stuff...

i'd like to put my 302 on a dyno with this 140 uncorked to see what it would make...

ONE OF THESE DAYS

A