Author Topic: Special Paint code  (Read 4181 times)

dhansen11

• View Profile
Special Paint code
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:24:01 AM »
I am looking at an RS Z28 and the cowl tag shows "--  --" apparently for special paint.  Is there anyway to tell what the correct color should be or is any factory color considered a correct color?  Would the POP show anything?

Thank you

Hot Rod Todd

• View Profile
Re: Special Paint code
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:06:49 AM »
What year?

dhansen11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »
1969; thanks for your help

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »
"Special paint" doesn't always mean it was not a normal production color as it could have been built without stripes also since they were standard. If the car is restored, or has been properly repainted, then finding the original color will be hard to do without a tear down of some parts. Look inside the trunk area at the trunk torsion rods as they will usually have signs of the original color if with a poor repaint. You can also use a flashlight to look inside the door jambs at the fronts of the doors in the cowl side area for traces of the original color. If the seller is willing to let you remove a couple pieces from the car, then remove the door sill step plates on each side, then remove one of the rocker panel wiring harness cover plates (?) located under the carpet. Look inside that trough where the wiring harnesses run as those usually never get repainted unless it has gotten a full restoration......I hope this helps point you in the right direction..............RatPack........................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:26:54 PM »
You could have all the factory paperwork for a  - - PNT car and still not know what was different.

In addition some special paint cars [so designated on the window sticker] have a paint code. There are at least 2 Z/28s that were ordered with non-standard stripe colors; one is - - the other isn't. Special paint is not unusual on COPOs; one of them is Can-Am white, a Corvette color not all that different from Dover white.
Learning more and more about less and less...

anything