Author Topic: dying Vinyl roof  (Read 8738 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
dying Vinyl roof
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:04:57 PM »
Several months ago I asked if anyone had ever re dyed the Vinyl roof on their Camaro and did not get many responses. Well I went and did it on mine. The top was originally Fawn Beige and was dyed to an off white. I had it redyed back to Fawn Beige. I go to pick up the car tomorrow and from what the owner of body shop that did the redying states it looks really really good and he likes the look better than the off white that was on the car. He said the hardest part was prepping and cleaning the Vinyl  with the cleaner included prior to applying the dye. He sprayed on 4 light coats of the dye. He said what he really was impressed with was there was no major buildup of product and it bonded really well to the vinyl roof. The coats dryed within 20 minutes as stated and he was able to apply each coat every 20 -25 minutes. He is going to apply the "conditioner" that came with the dye kit tomorrow during the day and I should be able to pick it tomorrow evening. I'll let you how it looks.

dab67

Hot Rod Todd

• View Profile
Re: dying Vinyl roof
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:25:01 PM »
I am just curious as to why you would dye the top instead of replacing it? Is it for cost savings or just to keep the original appearance? How are the aftermarket vinyl tops as far as quality and appearance?

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:16:14 AM »
Todd:

Good questions. To replace with original color and texture there was only one company I could find that had "Fawn Biege" Vinyl and the cost was over $400 just for the Vinyl and I had to still pay shipping. This Company did send me samples of the original Vinyl in Fawn Beige. Other than the fact the "Off White" color , whiich was dyed over the original "Fawn Beige" was fading, the Vinyl itself is in good shape. The metal under the Vinyl based on the Auto Shop that dyed it, is in good shape. All window molding was remove to check for any rust situation and none was found. That doesn't mean something could pop up in the next year or two, you never know.
The owner of the Auto Shop was so impressed with how this product looked after completion, he personally called the company in Canada that produced the dye and told them he would recommend using it again under the same circumstances.( Good metal and Vinyl conditions) They are sending him about 50 diffferent "base' colors samples for display and pamphlets on the product. The cost for the material, which includes Vinyl cleaner, dye, conditioner and the application was under $400.00.  Hope this answers your questions.

dab67

Hot Rod Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:49:24 AM »
Thanks. My 68 Z is a factory no vinyl but I also have a 69 Chevelle that is original black top but it is gone. I plan to buy a repro and have it installed in the future. I am sure you made a good choice as it is only original once. Good luck.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »
Dave,
Post a picture.  Sounds like you got the results you wanted.  Congrats!

Hot Rod Todd,
I just had the black vinyl top replaced on my 68 at the shop that is owned by the Modern Group which owns Classic Muscle:  http://www.oldmusclecars.com/  I got great results: correct seams, etc.  I honestly think good prep work and correct installation are the most important parts of vinyl replacement.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »
As soon as we get a decent day here in South East Wisconsin I will take a picture and attempt to post it.

Dab67

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
Picture posted for Dave:
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
Thanks to Phillip for getting the picture I sent to him small enough to post.
I hope everyone who looks at this picture can see how the Vinyl Roof is darker than the stripes on the car. Before the vinyl roof looked more like the stripes. so far people that have seen it up close really like the color. I have had a couple friends who own Chevelles remember this Fawn Beige now that they have seen ii again.

Again thanks Phillip for the help.

Dave  dab67

Camaroon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 11:42:23 PM »
Hey Dave...

Nice results on the dye job, my Camaro vinyl is not in need now, but may in the future.

I am also in South East Wisconsin, just waiting for the car show season to get rolling.

Where is the Auto Shop located ? Always good to find reputable shops nearby.

I might give them a call ! 

Thank you!

Hot Rod Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 02:58:10 AM »
Thanks for the info, Phillip.

Dave,
Post a picture.  Sounds like you got the results you wanted.  Congrats!

Hot Rod Todd,
I just had the black vinyl top replaced on my 68 at the shop that is owned by the Modern Group which owns Classic Muscle:  http://www.oldmusclecars.com/  I got great results: correct seams, etc.  I honestly think good prep work and correct installation are the most important parts of vinyl replacement.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:37:48 PM »
Hey Dave...

Nice results on the dye job, my Camaro vinyl is not in need now, but may in the future.

I am also in South East Wisconsin, just waiting for the car show season to get rolling.

Where is the Auto Shop located ? Always good to find reputable shops nearby.

I might give them a call ! 

Thank you!

The name of the company is Keno's Collisiontek, in Kenosha. Owners name is Keith Matus, his speciality is restoring GTO's. Phone 262-605-8921. He has two shops in different parts of town and he took my wife and I through both of them when we first bought our Camaro 5 years ago. He has two restored 67-68's (not sure of the years), convertibles on his floor and is working on a complete restoration of a "Judge". He did do a 67 Camaro convertible a few years back. This was also a convertible.

dab67

anything