Author Topic: ZL1 Production Numbers?  (Read 5295 times)

TonyHuntimerRaceHome

• View Profile
ZL1 Production Numbers?
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:59:26 PM »
Before you point me to the page that everyone has read:
http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#COPO

Why do the ZL1 production numbers (90) and crate engines (17) have a tilde (~) in front of each (~90) and (~17)?  That seems odd.  Does this mean that these numbers have been questioned in the past and that at least one historian "in the know" remembers a different number?  It not only seems odd that Chevrolet didn't produce more that ended up in R&D and other racing programs.  Wait!  What am I saying?  Chevrolet wasn't racing.

In Paul Van Valkenburgh's book,"Chevrolet ---Racing?" he refers to aluminum big block 427's in racing.  He states, "Penske immediately picked up a half-dozen which were shipped to Traco, McLaren bought a bunch, and the 1968 Can-Am season was off to become a relatively competitive series." He also states, "The production aluminum-block 427 Chevrolet engine saw finally made available to the general public. Most were sold across the counter at around $2000 for the short block, but some were built in Corvettes and Camaros."

Is the ZL1 that we say only (~90) were produced, is that only complete engines? I take that as meaning there were A LOT more of these blocks produced, but only (~90) were complete engines. Any insight? 

Thanks,
Tony Huntimer
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:24:59 AM by TonyHuntimerRaceHome »

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: ZL1 Production Numbers?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:12:19 AM »
2 ZL1 Corvettes
69 ZL1 Camaros
~ would seem to me, the same as around, might not be exact.
Others will chime in
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

69 Z11

• View Profile
Re: ZL1 Production Numbers?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »
Most people don't have the ASCII code handy for the double tilde, ≈, which in mathematics, reads as "approximately equal to".  So they use the single, ~, which is available on standard keyboards.  In most cases, the single indicates an approximation and can be read the same way as the double.
69 Z11
97 30th SS
Huggers at the Car Show