CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 09:06:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
103782 Posts in 12188 Topics by 4700 Members
Latest Member: lpetruc
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  ZL1 Production Numbers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ZL1 Production Numbers?  (Read 1750 times)
TonyHuntimerRaceHome

View Profile Email
« on: March 30, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »

Before you point me to the page that everyone has read:
http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#COPO

Why do the ZL1 production numbers (90) and crate engines (17) have a tilde (~) in front of each (~90) and (~17)?  That seems odd.  Does this mean that these numbers have been questioned in the past and that at least one historian "in the know" remembers a different number?  It not only seems odd that Chevrolet didn't produce more that ended up in R&D and other racing programs.  Wait!  What am I saying?  Chevrolet wasn't racing.

In Paul Van Valkenburgh's book,"Chevrolet ---Racing?" he refers to aluminum big block 427's in racing.  He states, "Penske immediately picked up a half-dozen which were shipped to Traco, McLaren bought a bunch, and the 1968 Can-Am season was off to become a relatively competitive series." He also states, "The production aluminum-block 427 Chevrolet engine saw finally made available to the general public. Most were sold across the counter at around $2000 for the short block, but some were built in Corvettes and Camaros."

Is the ZL1 that we say only (~90) were produced, is that only complete engines? I take that as meaning there were A LOT more of these blocks produced, but only (~90) were complete engines. Any insight? 

Thanks,
Tony Huntimer
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:24:59 PM by TonyHuntimerRaceHome » Logged
tom

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:12:19 PM »

2 ZL1 Corvettes
69 ZL1 Camaros
~ would seem to me, the same as around, might not be exact.
Others will chime in

69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speedo
69 Z11

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:25:33 PM »

Most people don't have the ASCII code handy for the double tilde, ≈, which in mathematics, reads as "approximately equal to".  So they use the single, ~, which is available on standard keyboards.  In most cases, the single indicates an approximation and can be read the same way as the double.

69 Z11
97 30th SS
Huggers at the Car Show
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: