Author Topic: To Dye or Lacquer?  (Read 8721 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
To Dye or Lacquer?
« on: March 16, 2006, 07:28:54 PM »
Question for anyone out there:

I plan on touching up some interior pieces of my camaro. mainly the kick panels and the cerenter consol?

the question is do I use a black dye or a lacquer finish. aslo what prep work can I do to ensure a good stick?

any Web site links would be appreciated too.

thanks

NP

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
Re: To Dye or Lacquer?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 06:45:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure most of the vinyl/plastic dyes out there are lacquer based.

It can be a little tough, especially with heavier grained pieces.  You'll need to scuff them over and over, and try to get down in the grain the best you can.  You will also need to clean them very well.  Once you've scuffed and cleaned them well, do it again.  Most interior pieces have seen years of armor-all treatments, and that does not get along with any kind of paint/dye.

An adhesion promotor will be helpful, and remember to use very thin coats and the minimum amount of product needed.  Less is more here.

dave
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

deejaygee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 07:41:27 AM »
Eastwood sells all you need to paint/dye your interior plastic and vinyl pieces. Get their Plastic and Vinyl Prep to clean the surface(s), the Sand Free adhesion promoter, and the Sems paint for vinyl and plastic. If your interior is black, Sems Landau Black is the ticket. Follow the instructions that come with the products and you'll be pleased with the results.

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:08:52 PM »
Perfect..

thanks for the help!

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 01:19:44 AM »
I am pretty sure that laquer is for hard plastic, ie the console and dash carrier. The flexible parts need dye. I made the mistake of using laquer on the seat hinge cover and it flaked off even after using adhesion promoter and primer. I had to use dye to make it stick.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

67ragmaro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 01:39:32 AM »
Many years ago I repainted a dash pad and all the hard panels in my Elcamino, the painter at the dealer where I worked set me up with a "flex" agent to mix in with the lacquer. Worked like a charm. Was off the shelf dupont. Good luck, let us know how it goes. Bruce 

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 07:16:04 PM »
FYI,
I refinished my entire dash, center consol, kick pannels and even the rear seats with the SEM's product from the recommended link and everything turned out perfect.
thanks for the great tip.

Nick P.

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 08:56:41 PM »
recomendation on the scuffing... I used a small BRASS wire bristle brush on the heavier grain parts in my 1970 dodge pickup... it had VERY heavy grain... worked pretty good on scuffing it up.
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

anything