Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

410 gears

(1/2) > >>

black69:
what difference would I expect to see on the 410 gear part numbers in my 69 BV rear end vs. a copo BE 410 rear end. Did GM really install different gear types between these 2 rear ends when the 410 was probably low production anyways? If they truely are different part numbers, has anyone ever seen the copo gears in a standard BV rear end?
bob

Jerry@CHP:
Bob,

The 234 COPO carrier 4.10 gears are different and have a different heat treat.  R&P is numberd #226 and 228.  Std gear sets are numbered #514 and 526.

Jerry

black69:
thanks jerry,
It would be cool (for me) if those were installed (even by accident). The 4 core radiator is maybe an accident that is factory installed in my L78 car, maybe I got the heat treated gears.
thanks!

NickeyChicago:
Interesting topic.

I don't have any factory paperwork to support my claim. What I do have is decades of experience with 1969 Camaros. I have seen numerous "original" L78 Camaros with BV 4.10 gears and 4 Core Curved Neck Radiators. I have seen far too many over the years for it to have been a coincidence or factory mistake.

I have never seen factory  installed COPO gear sets in a Standard BV rear.

black69:
agreed, I was curious as if and when I pop the cover to see what is inside someday, did not get to it this weekend. I beleive I witnessed a few L78 cars with 410 gears without the 4 core radiator (separate topic) which made me think my car could be a little different in another area. Its not a big deal at this point, was curious, but don't expect the copo gears now with the info jerry provided.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page