Author Topic: 68 Camaro (V8) Idler Arm question  (Read 7320 times)

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
68 Camaro (V8) Idler Arm question
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »
Guys and Gals...

THe Idler Arm on my 68 is bad... It seems theres an AC Delco part (45C1013) and theres a few other brands like Moog.

Any suggestions on which brand to get or places to purchase.  I see a lot of "reproductions" at the usual resto sites.

Oh yeah...I have power steering too.

Thanks!

-Pete
1968 Camaro RS/SS 350 Coupe

1968RSZ28

• View Profile

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
Re: 68 Camaro (V8) Idler Arm question
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:42:50 PM »
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm

Paul

Thanks,

I had found that after doing a search of this site.  It does not really say that the Moog is okay to use...just that it's not the same as stock.

Anyone have any other input on what they've used?

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »
I did a littlel further searching.  It seems www.HeartbeatCity.com carries an exact reproduction for the 68-69 Idler Arm @ $65.00  (p/n FEP 1089)

I don't care so much about the exact looking issue...but I want to put something on that is functionally exact.  ...and of course it has to be of excellent quality/safety.

Doesn't sound like anyone has any input on this topic...

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 04:51:16 AM »
Moog has been around since dirt--I can't imagine any quality or safety issues regarding them. Steering components are along the most scrutinized for quality replacement parts on a car. If originality doesn't matter to you, just go to any CarQuest or NAPA or Auto Zone and buy one. Moog is of the highest quality, but most any replacement from the auto chain stores will work just fine. Just make sure it has a Zerk so you can grease it. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:19:12 PM »
Moog has been around since dirt--I can't imagine any quality or safety issues regarding them. Steering components are along the most scrutinized for quality replacement parts on a car. If originality doesn't matter to you, just go to any CarQuest or NAPA or Auto Zone and buy one. Moog is of the highest quality, but most any replacement from the auto chain stores will work just fine. Just make sure it has a Zerk so you can grease it. Good luck!

Thanks for the input!    It just concerned me what was said on the pozziracing link, that there was some possible "binding" with the Moog part.

I know Moog makes quality stuff. ;)

I usually shoot for originality if I can...though my car is not 100% original anyway. 

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:41:47 PM »
I put a Moog on my 68 about 4 years ago. Very happy with it.

anything