Author Topic: carburetor  (Read 6155 times)

redge

• redge
    • View Profile
carburetor
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:03:09 PM »
Hi , can someone tell me the difference between the 7029202 and the 7029203 , i know one is for manual trans and the other is for automatic but is there an internal difference or not , thanks Redge

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
Re: carburetor
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »
The only difference I can think of is the throttle plate linkage and prabable jet and needle changes. The main body and air horn should be the same.
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:17:36 AM »
I believe the difference is in the accelerator pump discharge circuit as the manual shift cars produce more HC than the automatics due to the constant action of the accelerator pump while shifting through the gears. Once you are in high gear, manual or automatic, they are, for the most part, the same.  I can't think of any reason for the throttle plates or jetting to be different. If I had the 02 carb I would not hesitate to use it on my manual car. They, Qaudrajets, were hardly what I would call an accurate carburetor. Crude would be closer to the truth especially compared to Holleys or even more so fuel injection. That's why you don't see them any longer.

High HCs are also why the manual shift cars got the A.I.R. pump. Manual cars produce excessive HC everytime the accelerator pump is operated so the engineers installed a pump that supplied fresh air in to the exhaust manifold to act as sort of an afterburner to burn the HC (unburned gasses) while still present in the exhaust stream. Supplying fresh air in to the exhaust stream was just the ingredient needed to start a fire in the exhaust combining unburned fuel, fresh air and heat. Very crude but very effective.  By the time the exhaust reached the tail pipe the HC was mostly burned away.
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

redge

• redge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:54:41 AM »
Thank you for the detail , but my car is manual trans and no air pump  . maybe because it's a Canadian car

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:00:46 PM »
Thank you for the detail , but my car is manual trans and no air pump  . maybe because it's a Canadian car

Canadian cars weren't configured any differently than U.S. cars - they all used the same emission systems. The only differences were the Canadian oil change sticker, Canadian owner's manual, and bi-lingual warranty folder.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:35:39 AM »
In 68, there were differences in Canadian smog usage, but not in 69.

http://www.camaros.org/emissions.shtml
Kurt S
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »
I believe the difference is in the accelerator pump discharge circuit as the manual shift cars produce more HC than the automatics due to the constant action of the accelerator pump while shifting through the gears. Once you are in high gear, manual or automatic, they are, for the most part, the same.  I can't think of any reason for the throttle plates or jetting to be different. If I had the 02 carb I would not hesitate to use it on my manual car. They, Qaudrajets, were hardly what I would call an accurate carburetor. Crude would be closer to the truth especially compared to Holleys or even more so fuel injection. That's why you don't see them any longer.

High HCs are also why the manual shift cars got the A.I.R. pump. Manual cars produce excessive HC everytime the accelerator pump is operated so the engineers installed a pump that supplied fresh air in to the exhaust manifold to act as sort of an afterburner to burn the HC (unburned gasses) while still present in the exhaust stream. Supplying fresh air in to the exhaust stream was just the ingredient needed to start a fire in the exhaust combining unburned fuel, fresh air and heat. Very crude but very effective.  By the time the exhaust reached the tail pipe the HC was mostly burned away.

True for SBs; many BB/autos also used the AIR system
Learning more and more about less and less...

redge

• redge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:51:25 AM »
Thanks everyone