Author Topic: sb flywheel (flexplate?) sizes  (Read 11460 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
sb flywheel (flexplate?) sizes
« on: March 14, 2006, 10:36:28 PM »
Does anyone know how many different size flywheel or flexplate sizes there were for the first generation sb? Not sure what the correct terminology is.
Reason I ask, I have purchased two different covers for my 67, both must have been the same size and neither one fits. They do not line up correctly and the cut out for the starter is to small. I had my car in to have linkage adjusted for the poweglide and asked them to put the dust cover I bought on also. But they said it hit the flywheel before the bolt holes lined up. Was there a different size flywheel for the 327, 350?? Evidently the flywheel on my car is quite large. Also were there different sizes for a truck motor? Or would than not matter?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: sb flywheel (flexplate?) sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 12:24:28 AM »
I had a similar problem with a Tawain repro piece of junk that I bought for my 69 RS, 327 with powerglide.  It was a metal flywheel dustcover and I had to seriously work the metal to stretch it so that it would fit properly.  At first the holes did not line up with the bell housing at all and the starter opening was too narrow.

But then again, you get what you pay for and everytime you have to go to the repro market you are really taking a chance.  But that's an old and already well documented story.

Back to your question.  My understanding is that the flywheels for small block applications for 1st gen Camaros were two different diameters.  One has 168 teeth and one has 153 teeth.  I believe the 168 tooth flywheel is 14" diameter while the 153 tooth flywheel is 12-3/4" diameter.  Diameter of flywheel used on a particular engine was a function of Hp and compression ratio as opposed to cid, i.e. 327 or 350.  Higher HP/compression engines used the larger diameter flywheel with a higher torque starter.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 12:26:26 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:39:01 PM »
Of the two I bought, one I pulled off a 350 and the other one was stated as being off a 68 camaro. Both did not look like repro's from overseas. No clue where I can find one to fit the larger flywheel. May have to have someone fabricate one.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »
Ok I have something else to throw into the pot. I still have not found a cover. I know my tranny is not original. But now I'm not sure it is even a Chevy powerglide. Could I have a 2spd tranny from a Firebird or would it even hook up to my 350 Chevy engine?  I also know now, that the flywheel cover for a firebird tranny is different than a Camaro tranny. Everyone I ask states ,regardess of the flywheel between powerglide for a Chevy and the 2sp for a Firebird? Or am I justing blowing smoke? ??? ::)

Dab67

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 05:19:15 PM »
Well now that the last two sentences made sense. What should have been written was,,,,,, "Eyeryone I ask states it does not matter the size of the flywheel. the cover should fit both of them.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 02:48:37 AM »
I would have thought the same thing - that both covers would fit either flywheel.  Makes sense.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 10:51:38 AM »
Unfortunately the covers are different for a Camaro and "Bird". I was also told that the tranny from a "Bird" will not hook up to a Chevy small block. I guess I will just have to continue searching for the correct cover.

anything