Author Topic: Timing of 69 z 28 302  (Read 5090 times)

sbmiano

• View Profile
Timing of 69 z 28 302
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »
I am going to check the timing on my stock 69 302.  Correct me if Im wrong please!  I want to check the timing at 3500 rpms with the vacumn advance off and plugged.  See where the timing is.  If it is at like 28 degrees I now back it down to idle of about 850 or so set the timing at 8 degrees. That will bring total timing to about 36.  Hook the vaccum advance back up and tighten down the distributor and good to go?  Is this correct or am I missing a step?
69 z28  Van Nuys 04D Legends Certified
09 viper 5k miles

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Timing of 69 z 28 302
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »
Assuming you have a dial back timing light - Disconnect and plug the vac advance.  Hook up the timing light and rev the engine until the timing stops advancing.  With the revs up high and not advancing further, set the timing at 36 degrees and lock it down. 

If you do not have a dial back timing light, you need a magic marker line at 36 degrees.  Same procedure otherwise.

Hook the vac advance line back up and you are done. 

You should consider running manifold vacuum to the advance can.  Not stock that way but it will run better/cooler. Be sure to use the vacuum advance can that will fully deploy at 9" of idle vacuum.  Ask if you need more detail here.

If you still need more ignition advance at idle, you will need to remove mechanical advance from the distributor mechanical advance mechanism by reducing the slot length. 

The weights and springs are modified to alter the RATE of advance.  You want the mechanical advance to be all in by about 2500-3000 RPM. As fast as your gas quality will allow.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Kurt S
CRG

anything