Author Topic: Trim Plate or Trim Tag or Cowl Tag? VIN Plate or VIN Tag?  (Read 8508 times)

TonyHuntimerRaceHome

• View Profile
Trim Plate or Trim Tag or Cowl Tag? VIN Plate or VIN Tag?
« on: March 10, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »
Hey guys,

I see these terms different all over the place.  What is the correct terminology?  Is there a correct way?

Trim Tag or Trim Plate or Cowl Tag?
VIN Tag or VIN Plate?

Thanks,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: Trim Plate or Trim Tag or Cowl Tag? VIN Plate or VIN Tag?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

TonyHuntimerRaceHome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:31:30 PM »
I'm sure that nobody here knows that I write for Camaro Performers Magazine...
I want to make sure I'm writing the correct information.

I'm going to take your help to mean that Jason Scott calling the "Cowl Tag" (according to Camaros.Org) a "Trim Plate" in his Camaro Restoration Guide, is wrong?  Or just different?  Which way would be "correct"?

Both Jason Scott and Camaros.Org call the VIN Plate a VIN Plate...so I'll assume that's the "standard".

Any input?
Thanks,
Tony Huntimer
Camaro Performers Magazine
RaceHome.com

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 01:58:32 AM »
Tony,

As a journalist you should use proper reference to arrive at an answer you can be confident with. In this particular case I woud consider General Motors to be the best reference for this question as they manufactured these cars and thus were responsible for naming the parts. This is otherwise known as nomenclature.(name of the parts)

The correct name for the COWL TAG or TRIM TAG is actually called a "body number plate." The VIN is just called a Vehicle Identification Number without any other word attached to it. I don't see where it would be inappropriate to use the word "plate" following "VIN" as it is a plate. I also think, in my opinion, that when you are writing for general public consumption it is probably better to use the "street terms" so that the reader understands what exactly you are referring to. If you are writing to a group of engineers I would use only the correct technical terms.

Although in our vernacular we may use other names and terms for parts that are considered acceptable this is commonly known as jargon or lingo. I don't know of another area that has more mis-nomers, jargon, lingo and synonyms than the automotive field. Some of the terms we use daily in this business are actually not even accurate to the role of the part. I think the Alternator is one of the most ridiculous. It is actually an AC Generator but Chrysler in the early 1960s coined this name as a marketing tool to introduce their new more powerful Generator. Somehow the name just stuck and we are still using it today. The ignition coil is another one. It's a step up transformer but Henry Ford's model T had a coil that resembled Tesla's coil and it remains firmly in place.

As a former technical editor for automotive publications and instructor for GM I was downright floored at some of the writings I came across. I used to tell my students that the old axiom still holds true: Paper does not refuse ink. I'm impressed that you are seeking this information and want to get it right. That is a real change in the periodical business. They are usually the worst offenders.

I'm going to look for a copy of this magazine and check it out. Will  you be writing there soon?

1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:43:48 AM »
We've had those discussions among ourselves when we created the pages for the website.

I find that I use cowl tag and trim tag interchangeably. I tend to favor cowl tag and that what is used mostly on the site.
Remember that most of an assembly plant never looked at the cowl tag. The broadcast sheets / UOIT's told the people more info and more clearly. So it's not a term that was used in the plant much.
Kurt S
CRG

TonyHuntimerRaceHome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 02:02:07 AM »
Tony,

As a journalist you should use proper reference to arrive at an answer you can be confident with. In this particular case I woud consider General Motors to be the best reference for this question as they manufactured these cars and thus were responsible for naming the parts. This is otherwise known as nomenclature.(name of the parts)

The correct name for the COWL TAG or TRIM TAG is actually called a "body number plate." The VIN is just called a Vehicle Identification Number without any other word attached to it. I don't see where it would be inappropriate to use the word "plate" following "VIN" as it is a plate. I also think, in my opinion, that when you are writing for general public consumption it is probably better to use the "street terms" so that the reader understands what exactly you are referring to. If you are writing to a group of engineers I would use only the correct technical terms.

Although in our vernacular we may use other names and terms for parts that are considered acceptable this is commonly known as jargon or lingo. I don't know of another area that has more mis-nomers, jargon, lingo and synonyms than the automotive field. Some of the terms we use daily in this business are actually not even accurate to the role of the part. I think the Alternator is one of the most ridiculous. It is actually an AC Generator but Chrysler in the early 1960s coined this name as a marketing tool to introduce their new more powerful Generator. Somehow the name just stuck and we are still using it today. The ignition coil is another one. It's a step up transformer but Henry Ford's model T had a coil that resembled Tesla's coil and it remains firmly in place.

As a former technical editor for automotive publications and instructor for GM I was downright floored at some of the writings I came across. I used to tell my students that the old axiom still holds true: Paper does not refuse ink. I'm impressed that you are seeking this information and want to get it right. That is a real change in the periodical business. They are usually the worst offenders.

I'm going to look for a copy of this magazine and check it out. Will  you be writing there soon?

Hey JR,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do my best to get all my terms correct or at least try to promote the best accepted terms used by historians and professionals in the field I'm writing about.

I enjoyed your comments on the alternator and the coil. I like other terms like vacuum advance...where it's more of a vacuum retard.  Here's another good one "motor" that is actually electric, but is now additionally defined as an "engine", which is powered by fuel.

Anyway, I write for Camaro Performers Magazine with is 9 issues per year on the newsstands and my Camaro book will be out in about 12 months.

Take care,
Tony Huntimer

TonyHuntimerRaceHome

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 02:04:16 AM »
We've had those discussions among ourselves when we created the pages for the website.

I find that I use cowl tag and trim tag interchangeably. I tend to favor cowl tag and that what is used mostly on the site.
Remember that most of an assembly plant never looked at the cowl tag. The broadcast sheets / UOIT's told the people more info and more clearly. So it's not a term that was used in the plant much.

Thanks Kurt!  I'm just trying to create a correct restoration "standard".

Tony Huntimer

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 02:41:23 PM »
I like other terms like vacuum advance...where it's more of a vacuum retard. Tony Huntimer

Not really - vacuum advance is misunderstood by almost everyone. As manifold vacuum increases, the diaphragm on the advance unit pulls the breaker plate further, increasing spark advance; as manifold vacuum decreases, the diaphragm spring drives the breaker plate back, reducing spark advance. Suggest you read this:

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/timing%20&%20vacuum%20advance/Timing101Article.pdf

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 12:58:49 AM »
Well it is called a vacuum ADVANCE. If it's duty was to retard timing it would be a vacuum retard which in fact was used in the 1970s on some cars. They had a dual ported cannister which could apply vacuum to either side of the diaphragm thus providing advance or retard to the ignition timing. I seem to remember these on Ford Cleveland engines.

This thread has certainly digressed. Maybe we should start a new thread titled: Mis-named components. I know I could write a book on that or at least a couple chapters.
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

anything