Author Topic: 1967 California License plate Numbers??  (Read 15118 times)

kforce

• View Profile
1967 California License plate Numbers??
« on: March 07, 2009, 06:24:58 PM »
Anyone with an original California car with its original BLACK license plates.
Can you tell me in 1967 what letter sequence was being distributed by DMV??
J? K? L? M?
"JJJ 123" "KKK 456" "LLL 789" ???

Thanks!
1967 RS/SS 350 - PG - Sierra Fawn - Black Vinyl - Gold Deluxe
1974 Z/28 - 4-speed - Silver (with those ridiculous stripes)  Black Interior
1998 Z/28 - 6-speed - Bright green - Convertible

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: 1967 California License plate Numbers??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:04:52 AM »
Anyone with an original California car with its original BLACK license plates.
Can you tell me in 1967 what letter sequence was being distributed by DMV??

K -

Read this CRG thread...  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2544.0

Paul

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »
The letter sequence was not distributed by the year. In 1963 when the black plates started, AAAxxx thru HHHxxx (I think it was HHHxxx) was distributed by county. When that DMV was out they got more. So a new 1963 car could have HHH123 in one county and another new car could have AAA123. It may have smoothed out a lot by the end of the decade. It does work to find a original black plate car to get you in the ball park for your build date.

You are aware that starting July 2009 the Calif. YOM has been extended to 1969 model year for cars.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

melav8r

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
From original black plate california cars I've seen live and in pictures, I've researched this topic, I would say to be in the ballpark '67 plates can typically start with R, S or T, '68 plates U, V, W, and '69's X, Y, Z and first run blue plates for late model '69's as well. Of coarse all vary by date of original purchase and by county as previously mentioned. Hope this helps.

plasiter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »
I can tell you my June production (06A) 67 Z had black plates on it when I purchased the car - and the 1st 3 letters were "VDH".  I hope that helps.  Paul
1967 Z/28 - Factory Special Order Flambeau Red Paint (Close to Hugger Orange) in 1967!

xplantdad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 03:16:11 AM »
And my brother's Cone Chevrolet delivered (and March 31st plate issued) RS/SS 396 had UEY as the sequence...he still has the plates as well.

Hope this helps...

Bruce

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
Bruce,
I just dug out a copy of the last California smog inspection report on my 68 done in May of 1997 and it lists the tag number as UTD###. My car has a build date of 10E from the LA plant, and originally delivered to Community Chevrolet in Las Vegas. The couple that brought the car into California did so in either late Dec 67 or early January 68. Her memory was not very good the last time we talked due to late stages of brain cancer. She said they bought the car on vacation in Vegas around Christmas of 67, but she didn't remember if they returned home before New Years or not............RatPack..................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

xplantdad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 12:41:13 AM »
Troy...

Neat stuff....by the way...a couple of interesting facts about my brothers Camaro...if you notice the last name on the registration...it is Bryant. The dad Herbert bought the car for his son, Sonny...who is the same Sonny Bryant who campaigned pro stock cars mainly in the 70's and was still (last time I checked) actively involved in drag racing, NASCAR and sprint cup racing building crankshafts for quite a few racers. I know at one point he built the cranks forTony Schumacher's top fueler: http://www.blackanthem.com/Weapons/armytopfuel.html

Here's his minimal website:  http://www.bryantracing.com/aboutus.html

Here are two pics of Sonny in action...first is at OCIR

The second is at Irwindale...

He liked those black rear panel Camaros...LOL

BTW, as of a few years ago...his mom (who sent my brother all of the documentation) still lived in the house where the pictures were taken. And that house was just two blocks away from where I lived in Orange, Ca...on the same street, no less!!

Bruce

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:03:04 AM »
Sonny was/is a really nice guy.  I haven't seen him for many years but I recall the days of Junior Stock when he ran a '56 Chevy sedan with a 225 hp, dual quad Corvette motor.  I think he pretty much got out of the '56 and into the Pro car.

xplantdad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 02:22:43 AM »
Neat info. His shop (when I lived in "the OC" ;D ) was on Batavia....I met him once without even knowing who he was...and like you say...he was a nice guy!

kforce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 06:51:04 PM »
Amazing where some of these threads go. Too much cool stuff.
I guess that's why you should read them all whether you think they pertain to your situation or not.

Thanks everyone!!!

Gary.
1967 RS/SS 350 - PG - Sierra Fawn - Black Vinyl - Gold Deluxe
1974 Z/28 - 4-speed - Silver (with those ridiculous stripes)  Black Interior
1998 Z/28 - 6-speed - Bright green - Convertible