Author Topic: 67 roof drip rail molding install  (Read 12994 times)

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
67 roof drip rail molding install
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:39:34 PM »
I'm installing a new set of drip rail moldings on my 67.  I hear they're a tight fit anyway, but mine has a new vinyl top which makes it even worse.  Does anyone have any experience with this that can describe how to do it without damaging the moldings?  Thanks.
67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

SMoon67

• View Profile
Re: 67 roof drip rail molding install
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:36:59 PM »
Where's Jerry when you need him?  Somebody must have put these things on.
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:45:38 PM »
If you have a local shop that has been doing tops forever, they might offer some direction.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »
Look here:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=413.0

Beyond that, just don't use any sharp, straight edge tools like a screwdriver --to avoid cutting, scratching or crimping.  Just a few weeks ago, our club had a workshop at the local community college about repairing and polishing stainless.  Every tool they used had a rounded edge (like a wooden dowel with soft cloth on the end or a "dent wizard" tool) and they used a rubber hammer with several light taps to put things into place.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:41:00 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Somebody must have put these things on.

Take your time, start at front edge, top hook goes over first, pull down with fingers & push in with thumbs, bottom snaps on.  The trick is to get them started first along the top about a foot and a half (not fully popped on) then go back and fully pop on first 6 inches, then start 6 more, seat 6 more...to the end.  Fully seat them with the palm of your hand or a rubber roller (like the one they sell to install Dynamat).  Put on a set of heavy leather gloves or something with padded palms if using hands.  Their really not that bad, just take your time. 

Also, since you mentioned the vinyl top...it should end DOWN IN the gutter...there is a space to tuck it into.  There is also a special retainer that is supposed to go over it in the gutter.  If the vinyl is wrapped up or over the piece you put the molding on you will never get them on.

See this thread:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=3133.0

Good luck!
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 12:39:42 PM »
In most cases, the painted has to be filed down or sanded down on the roof gutter.  This is not an easy job.  I will say this, the repro tolerances are a little looser and easier to install.  That's what I installed on the new 67 Z28 race car.  GM moldings are a PITA.  Not a job that can be rushed.

Jerry

SMoon67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:54:47 AM »
Thanks Chris and Jerry.  You've both been very helpful.

It's been an awful long time since I removed the old vinyl top but I vaguely remember that there were some clips that popped in over the vinyl into the top edge of the drip rail to help hold the vinyl in place.  Is that correct or an I imagining things?  It's only been about 30 years since I stripped the old top off so my memory isn't too good on this.

Thanks again.
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

SMoon67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 01:00:53 AM »
I asked that last question before looking at the link Chris posted.  That other thread pretty much answers my question.  Thanks.
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 02:31:35 AM »
Had the same issue....  Yes, it was a plastic piece that "wedged" into the channel for lack of a better term.  You either need original or make one.  No one to my knowledge makes this part.  NPD didn't even know this part existed till I showed them the assembly manual.  If you search CRG logs there was a member that posted a pic of this piece a while ago.  If I find it I'll post it to you.

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 12:24:59 PM »
The orig tops were not on the top of the gutter so it didn't make any difference for fit. The pillar post gutter ( next to the windshield) was installed after the top was installed so it was a non issue there too