Author Topic: new clutch fades when hot !  (Read 5299 times)

Reederv

• View Profile
new clutch fades when hot !
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »
I have a slight problem with my 4-speed. When the car is cold my clutch works fine. Free play is about 2- inches from the floor. But after a good long drive, When I try to back up it grinds. Most of the time I shut the car off, then put the trans in reverse, Then restart the car. Happens rvery time!  Any suggestions!

Pex68

• View Profile
Re: new clutch fades when hot !
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »
Free play is checked with the clutch engaged, i.e. foot off the pedal.  Grabbing right off the floor like that sounds like it's not adjusted right and it may not be fully releasing.  You should have roughly 1/4 to 3/4 of pedal movement before feeling the weight of the clutch.  Also, do you put it in first before trying reverse to synchronize the gears?  Could also be a improperly adjusted shifter but I would adjust the clutch first.  Oh yeah, welcome aboard!
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:18:16 PM »
Free play is about 2- inches from the floor.  Any suggestions!

That's not how the clutch linkage is adjusted. You adjust it so you have 1" to 1-1/2" of free play from the fully up position (pedal arm against the rubber bumper) to the point where you feel resistance (throwout bearing contacting the clutch fingers) when you depress the pedal. Pay no attention to where it engages "off the floor" - the linkage takes care of that. With your current adjustment, the clutch isn't releasing fully.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 05:16:58 AM »
For my 2 cents, I like a low-releasing pedal. You didn't say what kind of pressure plate you have, Reed. For a stock clutch what John Z said is fine. But there are aftermarket high and low-finger diaphragm plates, as well as 3-finger and Borg & Beck types. All are adjusted differently, and the linkage doesn't take care of the release point with a high-effort pressure plate because the linkage flexes more. Your clutch definitely is not releasing fully as John said. I'd try running the threaded bolt out in 3-turn increments until it releases as you like. This is trial-and-error territory from my experience. Hope this helps and good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Reederv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
Well, Thanks for having me in the club! New guy here!  Yea, this clutch has been a my thorn in my side, I'm hearing what everyone is saying, and i'll need to go back to the drawing board.  I'll check free play with the pedal fully up, then press down to see when I feel pressure.  I made need to adjust the rod some more, the new clutch sure feels great , I was just alittle puzzled, after driving. Something definitly changes after it's hot!  Thanks everone for the input i'll let you know what I do to fix this problem. As soon as THE SNOW STOPS!!!!!

anything