Author Topic: Drum to Disc conversion 68 camaro  (Read 16627 times)

Ed68SS

• View Profile
Drum to Disc conversion 68 camaro
« on: March 13, 2006, 05:41:47 AM »
I have a 68 with drums all around and I want to go to disc brakes in the front for now. I am looking for suggestions on what brands anyone has used? Good and Bad experiences with the different brands. I just put together a 355 that has practically next to nothing for vacuum.  I am not sure if I want to use a pump with a power brake set up though.  I do want to be able to stop in a shorter distance though. The new engine is strong and pulls great, but I want to stop  if I have too ! ;)

TIA  ED

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Drum to Disc conversion 68 camaro
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »
There's lots of info on disc brake conversions on David Pozzi's site - www.pozziracing.com .
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Ed68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 02:14:57 AM »
John,

Thanks for the info on the site. Its a great site. :)
 I should have been more specific with my question. I think it was too general.
Has anyone bought and installed the kits offered from master power brakes,  stainless steel brakes, BAER or wildwood?  I don't have the time to chase the parts down. I will be lucky if I can squeeze the time to install the disc brake upgrade. ( I have twins and its baseball season !) So my time is limited. I am looking for feed back on disc brake upgrades?  Pro's and con's of any manufacturer that anyone has used. I am looking for ease of installation and how complete the kits come.

:)
TIA 
ed

fezz68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 06:42:56 PM »
Ed
I just bought a drum to disc conversion. I searched every possible internet company and a few I deal with on a regular basis. The first thing they tell you is that the spindles are different. Well I put the old hub on the new spindle and it fits perfectly. I also measured th length they were the same. You could go with a two piece rotor and put it on the old hub, you would have to put on the new backing plate and the caliper brackets(no biggie). Then depending wich caliper you wanted to go with you may pay 3 or 4 hundred dollars each (minus core charge) but your going from drum so you pay. If your going to race then go with the large diameter rotors and the 2to4 piston caliper. But if not then go with a kit. So I went with a kit got every piece that I needed. All for $618.00 shipped.  Suggestion get the prebent lines that they offer with the kit unless your handy at bending lines because they will break when taking everything apart. The place I got my kit from was CR custom in Ohio.(614)323-5920 or RiDE34@aol.com Chad is the man I searched evrywhere for 2 weeks straight and he was the best. NOTE: get the master with the 1 inch bore and the 11" power booster ( rec. of Car CraftNov.05 issue) The kit fits perfectly if it doesn't you did something wrong. Hint everything is bare metal get a caliper paint and Paint it to protect it.
Paul

Ed68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 01:11:54 AM »
thanks paul I will contact them. I haven't seen a price close to that yet !!!

I put together a lumpy motor and I have less than 10lbs vacuum when its running. Have you or anyone here installed a pump?  Good ones out there? Bad ones to stay away from?  Or should I just go Manual Disc? 

TIA  Ed

chenoweth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »
I did the same conversion to my 68.  I swear by the company SSB (Stainless Stell Brakes).  Piece of cake installation.

anything