Author Topic: black cars with red stripes and those with white...  (Read 4785 times)

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
black cars with red stripes and those with white...
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:52:41 PM »
I posted on this topic before, and still get confused from time to time.

so far I have found more that a few triple black cars with red hockey stripes in the midwest (mine, one 375hp auto - original owner, and a local 4spd car (wrecked). I also heard of another 375 hp in (minnesota?) with the red stripe).

The black convertibles I have seen, always have the white stripe. why would chevy treat the converts different than the coupes? The one triple black convert I know of is a 375hp car, but there are no original pictures of that car when new. the owner has had it for ever and said he is pretty sure it was a white stripe car.

Some of the old chevy advertisements have a 69 black ss car with white stripes (was that done for photo reasons? (red stripe may not show up well). it was before the cowl hood was offered, as that is not in the GM picture).

still confused on the red stripe rule for black ss cars, and why gm would treat an all black convertible different than a coupe.  To me the current one on the camaros.org home page (for 69 model) should have a red stripe to go with the red interior. But I am sure the rules for black converts are that all of them get white stripes.

a wild opinion may be only 396/375 hp black coupes got the red stripes (so far that is all I have come across, oddly enough).  black converts never get them so I can tell, even with red interior.

Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: black cars with red stripes and those with white...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 02:32:14 AM »
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#ExteriorColors
Follow the link. Stripes were determined by body color. Black cars got white stripes.

BUT exception 4 below the table states:
1969: Tuxedo Black coupes with Black interior and D90, DX1, or D96 stripe (not Z28) and without* vinyl top received a Red stripe. (* Note: An original paint black car with a black vinyl top has found and it has a red stripe on it, so GM documentation may be in error on this detail). 

I think you can safely assume a black SS without vinyl or rag top would probably have red hockey stick stripes.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:24:02 AM »
Interesting they have an exception for the coupes, but not for the convertibles. And that red interior affects silver and white cars, but not black cars.

Your observations may be correct, but you don't find many black convertibles, no less SS's with history. I know of only 3:-
1) I assume you're talking about George's car.
2) has no history back to day 1.
3) SS350 with white stripes, not sure they were original, trying to confirm.
Kurt S
CRG

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
red gut = red stripe