CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 05:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
104949 Posts in 12263 Topics by 4727 Members
Latest Member: Z10 Paceman
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Decoding/Numbers
| | |-+  Cars background
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cars background  (Read 1511 times)
Jeff Held

View Profile Email
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:36:02 PM »

Is there any way to find out where my 69 Z-28 originally came from ? What dealership sold it ? Prior owners ? Is there a website that would tell me this using the vin. #s ?  Also wondering where my muncie tranny was built ? What city and state ?  Thank You  .
william
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »

I did many title/registration searches on COPOs years ago. It was easy then; send a few bucks, they sent as much info as they had. But even then few states went back to the first registration. 10 years was max, many only did 5. Some states didn't issue titles in the '60s; some states registered cars by county. New privacy laws have closed the books and it doesn't matter that much as no one keeps records for 40 years. With a few connections at one time you could have a law enforcement officer do an NCIC inquiry on a car to learn where the MSO was issued. That has also become more complicated and does not always produce results. Short of plain old luck you may never learn anything about your cars' history.   

Transmissions seem to acquire the names of their city of manufacture; Muncie, IN or Saginaw, MI.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: