Author Topic: 68 Vinyl Top  (Read 7351 times)

SS375HP

• View Profile
    • LUCAS-RESTORATIONS
68 Vinyl Top
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:05:32 PM »
We are about to install a vinyl top on a 68. I have seen top manufacturers make the top with the A-pillar post vinyl overlapped by the top section. I have seen others that overlap the top section with the A-pillar post section. Some people say the top section should overlap the A-pillar post piece allowing water to run off of the top and over that seam. Others tell me that the water is driven up the A-pillar post during driving and hence the A-pillar piece should be on top of the roof piece. Does anyone have an original 68 vinyl top to verify the pillar post seam? See attached photo ... Also any recommendations for a source for the correct top would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  Ken
www.lucasrestorations.com
British Green
68 L78
Phoenix, Maryland
www.lucas-restorations.com

ccargo

• View Profile
Re: 68 Vinyl Top
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:38:11 AM »
I'll snap a couple photos of my 68 L78's vinyl top seams for you. The top material most often found these days is to thick to make the folded seams as original. I will also include a photo of the seamed section under the rear window. I see that done incorrectly many times as well. I believe material w/o the felt backing can still be found and I have a sample of that somewhere and will look to see if it has a manufacturer stamp on it.
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:17:08 AM »
Sorry it took so long but here you go. A pillar overlaps the top section.

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:25:18 AM »
The rear seam has an angel to it.

SS375HP

• View Profile
    • LUCAS-RESTORATIONS
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:36:04 AM »
Thanks Pat,

The photos are a big help. I see that you still have the plastic inserts in the rain gutter. I've only seen these once before.  Ken
British Green
68 L78
Phoenix, Maryland

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
Ken,

Did you ever locate a correctly seamed un-padded vinyl top?  If so could you let me know where you got it from???

Pat is correct on the seams, just checked my original photos and it's the same.

Check this post too about the vinyl retainers, I have some pic's of mine in there.
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=3133.15

You bringing this car to Nationals this year???
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

SS375HP

• View Profile
    • LUCAS-RESTORATIONS
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:31:07 AM »
Chris P.

Finding a correctly seamed un-padded vinyl top has been a real challenge. I found that SMS Fabrics (http://www.smsautofabrics.com/)  in Oregon has the correct un-padded material. They made two tops for us. Upon inspection I was very disappointed with the look of the seams. They looked as if a machine pressed them too hard and flattened out or distorted the original vinyl grain.

I wanted to return them for a refund. SMS said they don't refund but they said they would make me a satisfied customer by re-making the tops. I agreed and sent the original two back to them. They have been very difficult to communicate with, by not returning calls. So the latest is that they looked at the two tops I sent back and told me "The seams are perfect. There is nothing wrong with their tops" You know, I expected that reply. I'm calling them tomorrow and will escalate the issue. What makes this all even more disturbing was the price I paid. With shipping, the two tops were $600. This is just about 3 times the price of the tops from Rick's. SMS said they were the only company using the original un-padded material. For that I expected the cost to be higher.

So to answer your question, no I haven't found a correctly seamed top. Not yet! We will not have the 68 RS/SS at the nationals. But, if all goes well we will have a 69 Daytona Yellow Z/28 with a vinyl top.
British Green
68 L78
Phoenix, Maryland

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 04:48:45 AM »
Ken,

That's disappointing to hear...I was hoping you would find someone doing them correctly and give me a reason to re-do mine (seams backwards/padded)  :(

I do hope all goes well with the 69 and I see you at Nationals though!!  Keep me posted on the top too!

Thanks and Good Luck!!!

Chris.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20