Author Topic: upper dash color  (Read 4084 times)

HOTROD

• View Profile
upper dash color
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:53:26 PM »
I am currently rebuilding a non numbers matching 69 SS to what I want it to be. The car will be white with red Z stripes and red Deluxe Interior with woodgrain dash. I currently have 3 questions. If this car had been built by the factory what color would the upper dash be (between the dash pad and windshield)? what color would the steering column have been? I assume that the bottom of the car should be body color up to the firewall which should be a underhood black up to the top of the firewall. thanks for the help.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: upper dash color
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:25:02 AM »
All that would be red. The top of the dash had a matte finish [suede] acomplished by adding a flattening agent to the paint.

The bottom of a 1st gen Camaro was never body color. The floor pan started out dipped or e-coated black and acquired primer and body color overspray during the production process. The wheel wells were undercoated after assembly; some areas received black touch-up.
Learning more and more about less and less...

HOTROD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:56:40 PM »
Thanks for the help. Is the black finish on my replacement panels the e-coat that you mentioned?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:01:51 AM »
It could be but like the original stuff, it will not hold up for long.
Learning more and more about less and less...

HOTROD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:17:18 AM »
Thanks, I think I will go ahead and prime and paint the underbody while it is all a part. It won't be factory, but none of them had 454 and 5 speed either. Thanks again.