Author Topic: removing rosewood  (Read 6303 times)

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
removing rosewood
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:28:47 AM »
Has anyone successfuly removed the wood grain insert from the horn shroud.  I'd be interested in finding out how you did it.  The shround I have is junk so I don't need to save it.  Thanks Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: removing rosewood
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:14:48 AM »
Get some release agent. Carefully pry up one end slightly. Using a putty knife and applying the agent, work between the two pieces. Do not pry up as you will bend it and the result will  not result in happiness. I have removed them without release agent with no damage. Use your best judgement.

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:12:29 AM »
Thanks.  What is a release agent?  Something from 3M?   Does it work as you go or do I have to let it soak?  It won't harm the rosewood or do I need to be careful about getting it on the surface.
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »
3M makes it as well as others. Tape off the top for insurance and after you get an edge up apply the agent and let it work. Naturally I cannot see it so I don't know how well it is adhered to the shroud. If it's tight then you might smoke it trying to get an edge up first. One wrong move and the slightest kink will appear and in the trash it goes. If you force it at all you'll ruin it. Another option: You say the shroud is junk so carefully slice off the back in segments with a die grinder. I just did a Monte shroud and the edges were loose but center was not. Patience is the key element.  It's really no big deal. Giddy up. 

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 01:04:20 AM »
Oky Doky then...  I'll get me a can of 3M or similar stuff and go for it!  The corners are lifted on both end so it should go well.  Thanks for the help!
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 02:03:05 AM »
The rosewood vinyl should be glued to a thin peice of metal which is glued to the plastic.  Make sure you are pulliing the metal up and not the vinyl!  Or you can destroy the palstic shroud around the rosewood since it is junk :)

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 02:33:05 PM »
If it's tight then you might smoke it trying to get an edge up first. One wrong move and the slightest kink will appear and in the trash it goes.

YES!  VERY TIGHT!!!!  I did get a corner up on both ends but the release agent is just not doing it.  I tried to saw a single edge razor blade through the glue but I can't make the cut.  This stuff is like concrete.  The agent is an adhesive remover for emblems.  I left what I got under over night. All it seems to do is melt the plastic and then hardens again!
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »
I got it off by destroying the plastic and soaking the glue. The glue would not give up without a fight! It took most of the morning to get it off.   It looked like it might have been reglued with something alot stronger.  Thanks for the help!
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »
That's good. Sorry I have not responded.... Some adhesives are like what you describe and not limited to shrouds. I had one that was not adhered well but the glue was not easily penetrable, others fall off.....S.

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »
That's ok...you got me there
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe