Author Topic: getting close to paint  (Read 4364 times)

OL SCHOOL

• View Profile
getting close to paint
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:00:27 AM »
I am working on my 68/rs and Im getting close to painting, I have heard of painting all of your edges and your jambs. Then putting your sheet metal on the car and block sanding any overspray that may have gotten on the suface areas. This sounds like a good system and it cuts the risk of scratching panels and doors when you put them on and line them up. My question is do you also clear the edges too? thanks sooooooo much for any help

SCOTT

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: getting close to paint
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
Yes, you clear the jambs and edges.
The only way to correctly do it is with the fenders off...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

OL SCHOOL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:48:30 PM »
thanks for the reply that is my plan, to have all the sheetmetal off shoot the edges. Put it all togrther and line everything up and shoot the rest of the car. Just wasnt sure you could or should sand off cleared overspray that gets on the tops.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:31:11 PM »
 It sounds as if you are jambing, assembling, backmasking, then shooting the outside. As opposed to painting with the nose off and painting the shell with doors on, inside and out in one shot. The latter will leave no tape lines in the jambs and is closest to factory procedure.. If you are going with the first route, one procedure is to tape close to the edge and just pull the tape back a touch to prevent a hard line when jambing. If you do get a hard line it's no big deal, you simply cut it when you final sand. Piece of cake. Why overspray on the panels making more work when you don't have to? If this is not clear I'd be happy to pull some paper off the machine and send you a pic or two.
 Keep in mind if you use a sealer much darker or lighter than the topcoat the tape line visiblity in the jambs will be increased. Using a tintable sealer reduces this problem. As well as rolling the tape. There are other tactics and this would get winded so I'll stop here for now. And I have no idea to what level you are taking your project nor it's value.

OL SCHOOL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:33:12 PM »
If you dont mind and have time pictures would be great.
 Scott

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »
E-mailed you more detailed procedure info. and options