Poll

Do you like the look of a Vinyl Roof on a First Generation Camaro?

Yes, if original
103 (56.9%)
Yes, original or not
41 (22.7%)
No, even if original
10 (5.5%)
No, no matter what
12 (6.6%)
Maybe, depends on color
15 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: Vinyl or Not?  (Read 137300 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
Re: Vinyl or Not?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 11:31:08 AM »
 ;D I've just been informed my 67 will be on the front page of the CRG website for April. So Lake take a look and let me know what you think!

dab67

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 04:30:47 PM »
OK, so far we've gotten about 250 views and only 26 votes.  PLEASE VOTE!

Dab67, You're going to make us wait till April?!?  Royal Plum was another one of the great 60s/70s colors (at least in my opinion... One of my friends used to have a plum colored AMX that drew crowds at shows like a magnet.).  Cannot wait to see it!

Summertime, I'd love to see that black on black.  That's timeless!  (But hard to keep clean... I've got a new all black car and would love to keep it out of the rain...)

That's worth knowing that cars with vinyl tops may not have gotten as much TLC at the factory.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 11:41:48 AM »
If I knew how to post a picture to this sight I would post my car. Sorry, not to familar with the in's and out's of the web!

dab67

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 03:46:33 PM »
well I tried to send the pictures from work and it will let copy but it will not let me paste it to the forum. sorry

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 05:46:35 PM »
Use the standard "Reply" button (not the "quick reply"), and use the "Additional Options" feature below the box you type in; that will upload the image from your computer and place it in your post; copy-and-paste won't work - the image has to be uploaded first, and that feature does it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 06:33:26 PM »
Thanks, John.  I stand corrected!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:30:57 PM by lakeholme »

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »
Up to 330 views and got 30 votes...  Seems like you get a vote for about every ten views...  PLEASE VOTE!

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 06:01:57 AM »
My 69 SS had a black vinyl top originally.  They were quite popluar back then and certainly a sign of the times.

When I installed my new quarter panels with the sails, I couldn't bring myself to drill holes for the vinyl top
trim.  Sooooo, off the vinyl top came.  I was very happy when I finished the car.  As time went by, I started
to look at the vinyl top Camaros differently ( perspective of time ). I came to realize that the 69 vinyl top
was really differernt in that there was the 1" reveal ( painted body color ) all along the drip rail molding.  This
was totally unique and really set the top off quite nicely.  It didn't take long to add the top back on.

If you keep it out of the rain, it really shouldn't rust.  Besides, how many of us leave our restored cars out in
the rain?  My Camaro has not seen rain in 25 years.  See my point?

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 10:03:19 PM »
Steve,
I had actually forgotten that the 69 had that 1" reveal.  I know I've seen that dozens of times before.  (AHA! That also explains why vinyl kits require trimming for a 69!) But since you've put one on, how was it done?  I can look at my 68 where the vinyl comes all the way to the drip rail and that seems obvious and simple.  Is the 69 top that much more complicated? ???
Thanks! ;D
Phillip

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 11:33:38 PM »
Phillip,

I did a 68 Camaro vinyl top with my brother years ago.  No biggie.

I didn't do my '69 myself.  I started to do it, but I got scared that I might not get it just right.  I'm a perfectionist by nature and defer to others
when I'm not up to the challenge.  The areas of concern to me were around the window trim ( front & rear ) and how the vinyl top tucked
under it so as to eliminate peeling and the trim seating properly. 

I did wet sand the top paint up to the area where the vinyl top chrome would be installed.  This promoted better adhesion of the glue.

BTW, as I didn't have the trim location anymore, so I had someone with a vinyl top car under restoration send me the measurements for each
rivet location on the quarters and the back ( below the rear window ).  Drilling that first hole was scarry. :o  Once I started drilling, it get easier
with every hole. ::)

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 11:36:59 AM »
Lake:
Try opening this. I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 02:42:35 PM »
Steve, Thanks for the info.  Sounds like its not that tough a job, as long as you are precise and take your time.

Dab67, BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for the picture.  The white really sets up that dark plum look.  Great car!!!

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 10:24:38 PM »
You know, this topic really got me to thinking about a 1969 Camaro "Day Two" or COPO car that I saw at the Camaro Nationals a few years ago.

I recall that it was green with a black vinyl top that was dealer installed.  It used the 1967-68 scheme where the vinyl went up to the drip rails.
When I first saw it, I did a double take.  Then I thought to myself - FAKE !  I believe I later learned that some dealers did vinyl top installations,
but not the the 1969 style.  Anybody know what car I am talking about?  It might have been a Yenko.

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

shift1313

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 12:43:39 AM »
my68 came with it orig.  It was island teal with a black vinyl top.  It was restored once already and the car is now an ss clone hugger orange with a black vinyl top.  I really liked the way it looked but it left the roof in bad shape.  Mainly around the rear window and the C pillar.  The actual window frame is fine but the rest is bad. 
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/maperez/Camaro/carrear.JPG
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/maperez/Camaro/carside.JPG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 02:49:49 PM »
I suppose you mean rust, etc. around the rear window and pillar.  Of course, that was the curse of all 60s & early 70s cars.  Did it sit out in the weather?  By what you said, do you think that wouldn't have happened without the vinyl?

Thanks for the pictures...

anything