Author Topic: Sick of seeing this Z on ebay  (Read 29331 times)

lcmc

• View Profile
Re: Sick of seeing this Z on ebay
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »
From the ad:

" The seats and door panels have been reconditioned and re-dyed, but they are the OEM pieces."

I wouldn't have taken that as meaning Original seat covers. Agree, maybe they should have been clearer, but from a Dealer, I would never expect that. 

If we are going to bring up the stellar reputation of RK I feel I should give my input.
http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sales/inventory/top_sales_2011/1970-1-2-Pontiac-Firebird-Trans-Am/132152#!/
 Great car but not orig. seat covers as stated in their ad. They bought the car from a good friend on mine and he told them he had the seat covers made for him at great cost yet they sold it as orig. seat covers. They were even reminded of it when they were selling it. They might be great guys but that type of sales tactic does not instill trust.

I would take it to be original. From the ad: " Unlike most of the RA IV cars you’ll see this one sports its original code 211 Medium Bright Blue Vinyl (deluxe) interior. Yes, I said original, not a new replacement interior from a kit."
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »
'seats and door panels ... are OEM pieces' ...    makes it sound like no parts have been replaced.. ie.. as from the factory'.

Since the owner found 'OEM material' somewhere, and used pieces of that material to replace worn sections (ie. 'recondition' the seat'..   the dealer could have stated that just as well, and been more accurate.  (Note:  OEM material is not the same as 'repro kit material'....)  and I think from what Charley said, the owner found OEM material...

I think overall the dealers statement is 'not wrong', but is a little bit misleading by the way it was stated (by omitting some of the story).
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2012, 08:02:35 PM »
'seats and door panels ... are OEM pieces' ...    makes it sound like no parts have been replaced.. ie.. as from the factory'.

Since the owner found 'OEM material' somewhere, and used pieces of that material to replace worn sections (ie. 'recondition' the seat'..   the dealer could have stated that just as well, and been more accurate.  (Note:  OEM material is not the same as 'repro kit material'....)  and I think from what Charley said, the owner found OEM material...

I think overall the dealers statement is 'not wrong', but is a little bit misleading by the way it was stated (by omitting some of the story).

Just to clarify, the seat material used to make the new seats was never identified as OEM (by Charley). The seat covers were special ordered from a seat cover manufacturer because the two tone material seat covers which this car had, was not a standard available catalogue item. The seat covers on the car are not original to when the car was built, which is what's at issue. They are new reproduction seats. When seller sold it to the dealer he was upfront about this. The rub is; was this information passed on from the dealer to potential buyers. Based on what Charley stated it was not and that was his point.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:37:57 PM by paceme »
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2012, 10:27:50 PM »
Actually the seat covers were custom made in a local upholstery shop but the material my friend bought from SMS. He said he thinks the only orig part of the interior was the door panels. Dash was from Just dashes.

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »
Quote from: KurtS
Guys,
I'd rather the accusatory tone stopped. If you have a question like this, just send an email to Jerry and ask him to comment here.

Kurt: I haven't been following this at all lately - but it wasn't my intention to accuse anyone (especially JM who now that I reread all this, it may have sounded like I was aiming my comment about) and I apologize if it was taken that way.
Rather, I was just grousing out loud at how so often now stories and situations change and/or get morphed into something else, especially by dealers and flippers who only want to 'turn a buck', regardless of how little or much it takes to do that - as evidenced also by Charley's additional info..
As I read this thread in its entirety so far now, there may in fact be some logic as to why the vin# suddenly now is available - but it unfortunately leaves the car tainted in addition to making Dan's previous ownership and subsequent sale of it not as successful as it might otherwise have been..
Its too bad as it is a beautiful car and one I wish I had!

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
I don't see the car as tainted at all. It has been explained to my satisfaction. That should be the end of it. Jerry didn't say it wasn't the orig block and now it is. The vin stamp has been found and certified. It is a great looking Z. I love rally green.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2012, 04:26:47 PM »
So, Have ALL the filter VIN characters been documented? "not all but some" still seems open to questions.  How can anybody certify a VIN without seen ALL the chararacters? 
   VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible