Author Topic: Stripes - to feel them or not to feel them  (Read 15407 times)

smith69z

• View Profile
Re: Stripes - to feel them or not to feel them
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  And thank you Jerry for taking my call!

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
Single step the stripes...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 07:25:40 AM »
While you can't exactly recreate the lacquer paint with the modern BC/CC, you can get fairly close;  however, Camaro judging gives a "pass" when it comes to this (the largest area of the car) as far as restoring as they rolled of the line.

Does it really matter if you can "feel" the stripe if the rest of the paint looks nothing like factory?  A $20K flawless paint job that in no way looks like factory, but you can feel the stripe edge....  I know that "it is what it is" for judging, but it does seem a bit silly, doesn't it?
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 02:20:15 PM »
Dave,

The lacquer of today is nothing like it was manufactured 40 years ago.  So saying that using 2009 lacquer (getting very hard to find in any form) is just like the factory paint is flat out incorrect.  The base coat clear coat systems when done right will look very good and last a life time.  Come look at my '68 red Z28.  The paint is falling off and checking badly.  Plus there is the shrinkage factor.  GM paints did not shrink up like over the counter lacquer does.

I own two survivor original paint Z28s and my new race car when parked next to them looks very much the same. 

Now I have to spent another $15K or more for another paint job onthe red car.  You can bet I will use the BC/CC system this time.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Jerry

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 05:06:12 AM »
I wasn't the one recommending painting a car in lacquer.  It's been junk for a looooong time as you know.

My question is about making an attempt for BC/CC to look similar to factory vs. perfect and how it would be judged.

Here's an example.  Gorgeous paint, no doubt, but doesn't look like factory.  Would it be docked points on the sheet?

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »
Dave,

We do like to see a little bit of texture in the finish when judging.  I agree that many are over restored, paint is too thick, edges are too fat, metalic is too big, etc.

Jerry