Author Topic: Trying to determine what exactly my 67 camaro is??  (Read 4642 times)

TexasCamaro

• View Profile
Trying to determine what exactly my 67 camaro is??
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:34:30 AM »
I recently bought a 67 Camaro that is really a nice car in that it has no rust, a great engine, fantastic interior and is all around a great car. The car is dressed out as a SS with all the appropiate emblems in the right places but it has the hide-away headlights. When I ran the vin number on the CRG decoding software it shows that it is a V8 engine, had a viynl top on it and had a RS package. Question is what made a RS/SS ?? Someone told me that I could have a RS/SS car if it came this way. but I am sensible enough to know that I more than likely have a RS that has been cloned to a RS/SS  ???

Help me out if you can

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Trying to determine what exactly my 67 camaro is??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 04:57:46 AM »
When I ran the vin number on the CRG decoding software it shows that it is a V8 engine, had a viynl top on it and had a RS package.

T.C. -

The VIN can tell you if your car had a V8 or not, but the VIN can't tell you if it came with a vinyl top or if it had the RS option.

The cowl tag on a '67 will tell you alot.  Posting a photo of your cowl tag will give you alot of answers.

Paul

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 04:42:25 AM »
   Simply-- an RS/SS was just an SS car with the RS option. The RS package was an appearance option only--it included hideaway headlights and different trim and taillights and backup lights etc... It also had RS emblems--EXCEPT on an SS car. The SS package always overrode the RS badging, so, no SS cars had RS emblems. The SS cars only came with two basic engine options--a 350 small-block or a 396. So if the car has a factory 327, it isn't an SS. All SS cars had 12-bolts as well. If the car has a 10-bolt and a 327 that's a sure indicator it wasn't a factory SS car.
   It easy enough to see if it came factory with a vinyl top--just look inside the trunk were the 1/4-panels meet the roof sail panels and under the tulip panel below the rear glass. Vinyl top cars had holes drilled for the trim clips. If the holes have been filled, the car had a factory vinyl top. If there are no signs of trim clip holes, it didn't unless the sheetmetal has been replaced.
   Hope this helps!

HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

mjbake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »
Where is that cowl tag picture? It will tell all on a '67.
Mike
67 L30/M20
Convertible