Author Topic: DZ BLOCK NUMBERS HELP  (Read 10200 times)

KRB5000

• View Profile
DZ BLOCK NUMBERS HELP
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:04:06 AM »
I HAVE A DZ BLOCK WITH THESE NUMBERS: REAR=3956618,  A 21 9,  FRONT 632/618 & G 37,  PAD= VO206DZ.  THERE ISN'T A VIN ON THE PAD OR ON THE REAR BY THE OIL FILTER. ANY INFO ON THIS WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED, THANKS, KEITH

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: DZ BLOCK NUMBERS HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:44:28 AM »
The VIN by the oil filter can be very difficult to see sometimes.

Can I get a picture of the engine pad?

Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

samanatoo

• 69 Z28 Hugger Orange/Orange Houndstooth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 12:48:35 AM »
Is it nearly impossible to see the partial vin by the oil filter pad any tricks to see it better while in the car. Thanks,  Also is there a certain area in the pad where the number should be?   I keep thinking I see something but it is very hard.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:45:27 PM »
The engine plant stamp will be on the inboard end of the machined pad (toward the engine centerline).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:38:57 AM »
My car is a late build so the partial vin should be on the oil filter rough area right??  My engine build date and DZ are on the machined pad where they should be.   Where I  have seen partial vins stamped on the front machined pad are in BIG non factory stampings nukbers 01877, these are not even and look nothing like the factory stampings.  I was told that it is a date code from the machine shop that  did head work on the car.  My partial vin should be bytheoil filter.

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 01:06:44 AM »
I used a yellow crayon and applied 2 heavy layers and then used a firm tooth brish and brushed away the excess crayon and was able to see the the whole partial vin stampings minus 2 numbers of the vin. The 1 9 N and the last 4 numbers of the vin sequence number showed up nice.  My pad was paint free and very clean before i did this and themotor is still in the car.  I was almost ready to give up untill i saw an older post where someone recommended this method.

My car is a 08C cowl date and the original owner picked up the car from the dealer around teh 21st of August 1969.  The motor is V0629DZ stamping on the front pad. All previuos owners stated that the motor was original to thecar but not the trans.    Jerry said that it was not possible to have that large of a spread between the engine build and the cars build, but i would have to think that funky things could have happened since my car was built right when the production was continued because of the unexpected delay of the 1970 model.

Hard to see but is there. the yellow crayon worked!!!!!!!!!!                     

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:00:06 AM »
Hey, just looking thru some posts and seen this......My trick that I have done in the past for numbers is similar....I needed to see the numbers under the cowl panel. So I sharpened a piece of soap stone. You know the long skinny one welders use to mark steel. And I carefully shaved it down to fit. Then reached it in and wiggled it back and forth over the area. Then hit it at a 45 degree angle with a light burst of air and presto. Numbers filled for identification. Take your picture and you could just wash or blast it away if you wanted to clean it back up. Anyway, I am sure there are a bunch of those tricks. I just liked mine cause it was my idea I guess. And very NON permanent. And the white stood out like the yellow on the block..... D

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:25:17 PM »
Good idea with the soap stone too.  The last 2 woners of my car could  see something there, but could not read it even with the motor out and stripped before paint and pretty much gave up and because of all the ownership info and dates  all seamed resonable and felt good about the motor being original one to the car.  The yellow crayon worked the bomb!!! It was like night and day.  The pics I have are really cool  to look at and I have them blown up and stored with my cars historical book.  I look at them from time to time.  You know BIG THING if your Z28 has the original motor, now I cannot rev the shit out of it a run the car extra hard.  boo hoo. I am looking for a driver 69 Z28 now.

Da67Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:16:43 AM »
Good flash light and a mirror on a stick like magnet. with the other tricks and magnifying glass

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 12:05:41 PM »
I used an LED flashlight it loked better.  Also take a bunch of pics with a camera i was told the flah enhances the number on the photo better than the eye.

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »
19N672077 is the stamping on the photo   hard to read but it is there.

hotrodz/28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 05:15:30 AM »
Any chance it could be 19N602077, that is a pretty late vin for an early Feb stamped engine from what I have seen.
'69 Z/28 NUMBERS MATCH
'69 CHEVELLE SS 396 NUMBERS MATCH ALL DOCUMENTS

hotrodz/28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 05:16:57 AM »
Disregard previous post, I got confused. Thought this vin was for car in original post, sorry.
'69 Z/28 NUMBERS MATCH
'69 CHEVELLE SS 396 NUMBERS MATCH ALL DOCUMENTS

anything