Author Topic: RE: Buddy Holly, The Surf Ballroom & More, 50th Anniversary  (Read 24589 times)

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
Re: RE: Buddy Holly, The Surf Ballroom & More, 50th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 09:54:43 AM »
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 05:26:08 PM »
I'll post some good photos when I get caught up.  Got in late last night, Tuesday, 271 e-mails, a pile of snail mail and tons of stuff to open up yet...........numerious phone calls to return, etc.  If you have your own business you know the drill.

I will say this, the Monday night Surf concert was not that great.  No big surprises or special guests as we were led to believe.  Graham Nash and Dave Mason were about the best........along with Peter & Gordon, and G. Nash came out and sang with P&G.  That was cool. 

There was a group called Los Lonely Boys on the Monday show.  I have no clue as to why they were there.  All they played was LOUD hard rock music and no songs relating to B. Holly, R. Valens or The Big Bopper.  I was stunned that a band like this would perform at a B. Holly tribute concert???  The lead singer kept saying "Buddy Holly man, Ritchie Valens man, The Big Bopper man, rock & roll man."  We should have came home on Sunday.     

The guys were in the shop yesterday trying to get me a leg up on the work load but we are very busy now.

Jerry

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 06:22:11 PM »
A review in Minneapolis paper did not favor the concert much either, sorry to say, but they kinda like Los lobo Boys..go figure..Rock and Roll music effects us all in different ways...as a younger man I went to a Foreigner & Bad Company concert...The warm-up Band was a new Punk rock band..the crowd hated them...we booed them off the stage..and now they are in the Hall of Fame for Rock and Roll...The Ramones...Let's just hope the Music never really dies...Scott

3Zs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Los Lobos were at the right venue.  They are a West Coast group from Richie Valens neck of the woods and they do mostly 50's rock and roll.  They did all the music for the movie La Bamba.  Los Lonely Boys, on the other hand, is a rock group and, as Jerry said, they probably did not belong at The Surf.

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
my mistake..yes Los Lobo review was favorable..los lonely boys not so..sorry for the confusion ??? :-[

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
Los Lobos were good, loud but good.  They had the Valens family come on stage while they performed.

Jerry

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
I tivoed the Cousin Brucie broadcast replay Monday night. Not so hot, mostly he just spun period records., and mixed in a few interviews. I was hoping they would have played more of the live show.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 07:55:32 PM »
Jerry, Are you still planning to post pictures from the Surf Ballroom?
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn

another kurt s

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 04:44:21 AM »
I nearly died after leaving the surf ballroom in 1983 after a concert a couple of days before christmas.  Eighty below windchill factor and blizzard conditions.  Would have thought the jacked up 67 camaro RS/SS with fifties sticking out the rear wheel wells would have done me in but just slowly drove it in a ditch with my head out the window.  They closed the road and found us out of gas the next afternoon.  My toes still get cold even living in sunny Arizona.  No more snow for me.  The Buddy Holley curse passed me by!
1928 Model A Hot Rod
1936 Chevy 5 window Coupes
1955 Studebaker Pick up
1961 Corvette
1968 Camaro RS/SS 4 spd with air
1969 Camaro Z10
1974 Early Bronco

anything