Author Topic: RE: Buddy Holly, The Surf Ballroom & More, 50th Anniversary  (Read 24587 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
RE: Buddy Holly, The Surf Ballroom & More, 50th Anniversary
« on: January 14, 2009, 03:34:19 PM »
Hey Guys,

One of the biggest 1950’s and ’60’s rock n’ roll line ups in modern history will take place at the end of the month for the Buddy Holly Tribute weekend. The Surf Ballroom has been doing tribute concerts since 1978 and this year marks the 50th anniversary of the plane crash that took the lives of some of rock n’ rolls most promising young stars. The Surf Ballroom is still going strong all these years later.

We (Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs) were honored to be a part of the activities and will play on the show Friday night. I’m humbled just to be a part of this historic event and in the company of so many artists that I listened to as a kid. Being a part of this event is almost as good as a 10 second pass in the new 1967 Z28 D/ Stock race car! Very close!

Don’t know if anyone from CRG is attending. If you are, look me up. We will be staying at the Best Western in Clear Lake, Iowa. Wednesday Jan 29th through Feb 3rd.

The special guest star rumors are all over the map. P. McCartney and Ringo Starr are and have always been big Buddy Holly fans and there is a real possibility that they will be here. There is also Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Springsteen, and a possible reunion of Dion & The Belmonts.

In any event, this rock n’ roll extravaganza promises to be magical to say the least. Serius-XM Radio will be there in full force along with plenty of local TV coverage and many FM oldies radio stations from all over the county.

Rock On,

Jerry

The Buddy Holly Winter Dance Party Tribute Week, January 2009. Special 50th Anniversary Celebration to commemorate the music of Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens.

EVENING CONCERT: Wed Night, Jan 28, 2009
Doors Open: 6:30pm
Arists Scheduled to Appear:
Jason D. Williams
The Original Founding Members of the Whitesidewalls

EVENING CONCERT: Thursday Night, Jan 29, 2009
Artists Scheduled to Appear:
Bill Haley’s Original Comets
Johnny Tillotson
The Tymes
Dodie Stevens
Tommy Allsup & Johnny Rogers (and special guests TBA)
Hosted by Diamonds 'Original Lead Singer' David Somerville
Tickets: SOLD OUT

CONCERT:, Friday Night, Jan 30, 2009
The Winter Dance Party featuring Costume and Dance Contest, John Mueller, Ray Anthony, J.P. Richardson, Jr. and the MAD HATTER’S TEA PARTY Featuring The Killer Vees w/ special surprise guests, Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs

CONCERT:, Saturday Night, January 31, 2009
Bobby Vee
Buddy Holly’s Original Crickets
Johnny Preston
Chris Montez
and Special Guests - TBA

CONCERT: Monday Night, February 2, 2009,
50 Winters Later Commemorative Concert
Tommy Allsup (Buddy Holly’s original lead guitar player on the last tour)
The Big Bopper JR
The Original Crickets
Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens
Joe Ely
Wanda Jackson
Los Lobos
Los Lonely Boys
Legendary DJ, Cousin Brucie Morrow from Radio Station 77-WABC
Graham Nash
Peter & Gordon
Sir Tim Rice
Bobby Vee
and special guests TBA
Doors Open: 6:00pm
Concert: 7:00pm
Tickets: $85

Also, a possible reunion of Dion & The Belmonts who played the Winter Dance Party Tour in 1959!

Enjoy,

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: RE: Buddy Holly, The Surf Ballroom & More, 50th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:31:36 AM »
Hey all,

Made it into Des Moines, IA tonight.  Very cold here.  1 degree.  In court tomorrow and then off the Clear Lake for the big Buddy Holly bash on Wed.

Sir Tim Rice of Broadway show fame is doing a spot for this event on the internet and TV.  I think every famed musician and singer who is still alive from from the '50s and '60s will be at this event.  I'll let everyone know about the Keith Richards and P. McCartney sightings.

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:17:09 PM »
In Clear Lake, IA now, Chrysler van broke down, POS.%$^*(**&*^%

No GM cars when I arrived.  Concerts start tonight.

12 degrees here.............burrrrrrr

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »
Wed Night Comcert.  Great!

The Whiteside Walls (oldies band) were the opening act followed by Jason D. Williams out of Memphis, TN.  Jason is a mad man, does a lot of Jerry Lee Lewis stuff and throws things all over the stage.  Surprised he didn't hit any of the band members with the furniture!  He goes on for about two hours playing like a crazy person at 100 mph.  The Surf is packed!  No room to dance.

16 degrees here now. 

Got rid of the Chrysler POS rental and now have a 2008 red Impala, just like the one I bought. 

More Later,

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »
Thursday Afternoon,

Went to Surf Ballroom this afternoon, dance class going on and sound check for tonight's artists.  Bill Haley's original Comets, and many.  Comet's original drummer, Dick Richards is 85 years old and he can play with the best of them.  I was amazed. 

Met Sir Tim Rice, Johnny Tillottson, and Dodie Stevens.  D. Stevens had a major hit in 1958, "Tan Shoes and Pink Shoelaces".  Only problem is she looks like she's 40 years old and she had a hit record 50 years ago.  Can't figure this one out.

Having dinner tonight with Jimmy Gilmer, Fireballs, Trevor Churchill (CEO of Ave Records in London) and more.

Still cold as hell here with 30-40 mph winds.

Jerry 

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:52:19 PM »
Thursday Night,

Big line up of stars.  Found out there are people here from 47 states and seven countries.  Surf Ballroom was packed last night.  Bobby Vee's boys have a band called the Killer Vees and they are very good.  They were the back up band for most of the acts last night.  Buddy Holly's lead guitar player, Tommy Allsup, who was on the last tour was on first.  Then came David Sommerville of the Diamonds, Dodie Stevens, The Tymes, Johnny Tillotson, and Bill Haley's original Comets.  The Comets were great.  Dick Richards, 85 yearts old did a drum solo that would get Buddy Rich's attention. 

Many media outlets here, we play on Saturday night now which is better for us.  A lot happeneing in this little town.

More later,

Jerry

Adz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »
You sound like you are a kid in a candy store and having a blast!

Are you playing your drums in the band?

I will have to take your word on the line-up. A liitle before my time :-)

Enjoy!

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 11:17:24 PM »
Yes, I'm playing drums for the band........tomorrow night.

Was at the British Luncheon today and it was a big jam session between many musicians.  I palyed a few Buddy Holly & Chuck Berry numbers.

Latest talk is this Keith Richards, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton and others are in the area.  Looks lilke they are going to make a showing at the Monday night show.

More later, off to dinner with some of the out of towners.

Jerry 

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
Friday Night,

Surf Ballroom, packed.  I wonder what the fire code is?  Great B. Holly act, Johnny Mueller.  Best Holly look a like and singer that I've seen to date.  The Big Bopper's son was also on the show along with Jimmy Clanton and Shirley Alston Reeves of the Shirelles. 

More later, sound check at 5:30 PM for us.

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
Tonight's Saturday night concert will be broadcast live on XM-Serius radio starting at 8:00PM, EST.

Jerry

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 12:16:58 AM »
Do you know which station ?
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 12:49:37 AM »
tonight on 50's on 5 at 8pm et.......rebroadcast on Monday,Feb. 2....@6pm et.....

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 03:05:30 AM »
Thanks. Will try to catch the replay.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
Sunday Morning, TIRED!!!!!

Will write more to cover the show later.  I have to do a Camaro inspection today in Minn. 

The crowd was incredible!  Being on the stage and seeing the thousands of people out there was a very humbling experience.  Cousin Bruce Morrow introduced us.  I used to listen to him when I was a kid growing up in Long Island, NY. 

I stayed back stage most of the night mingling with the acts on the show and taking pix.  We shared a motor home lounge with Peter & Gordon.

Have to get up to MN.

Jerry

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 06:46:06 PM »
Here is link to article on the lady from Minnesota that had the only known pics of that night. cool story, attaboy Jerry :)

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=538377&catid=14
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net