Author Topic: '69 "Comfort Grip" steering wheel  (Read 17653 times)

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
'69 "Comfort Grip" steering wheel
« on: April 25, 2008, 03:43:50 AM »
Fellows, I want to use the '69 black 'comfort grip' steering wheel on my '68 instead of the walnut one. Does anyone know if the bolt pattern on the '68 hub is the same as a '69, and will the horn cap and hardware interchange? I'd appreciate any help, for I really want to use that wheel. Thanks.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
Re: '69 "Comfort Grip" steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 03:59:56 AM »
Everything will line up, but you will be 4" farther away from the wheel - I don't recommend doing that.
The 69 wheel is shallower.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 03:40:13 AM »
Jeff--one of my buds at Ausley's Chevelle Parts let me look at both today, and while the '69 wheel is certainly much more shallow, it appears that the '68 hub will stand the wheel away from the column more than the '69 hub, and there is only an inch difference in depth that way. I'm not doubting you--just wondering if you'd considered the hub thickness. My guy swears it will work. Thanks!

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 04:10:59 AM »
The wheel is shallower on the 69 to allow for the new key location.
That is the difference.
Sure it will work- but it will not be right.
You could put a flat MOMO on and it will work - but you better have real long arms. :)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 08:37:07 AM »

I was intending to try and find a similar style of wheel as discussed here for my '68 Z some point down the road and do actually prefer the look (and probably the price as well) of a comfort grip style over the wood types that are available. Is there a comfort grip version that would be an exact replacement dimension-wise for a '68 model.
  I know many of the wood wheels also need and can be purchased with a specific adapter (kit?) that includes a new hub or transition piece to cover the area between the wheel itself and the column. Would and does any comfort grip that might be a direct replacement for a stock type wheel require such a kit to make it look like stock?
  Thanks for any info - sorry to hijack a bit here...   Randy

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 03:51:36 AM »
That's what I'm going try, Randy! My friend at Ausley's laid out the wheels and hubs on a table, and the '69 hub is more shallow than the '68 hub--with a '68 hub there is only an inch difference between the two because the '68 hub stands the wheel farther away from the steering column. The bolt pattern is the same, so they'll physically bolt up. Confused yet? lol   Jeff is probably right, but dang if it doesn't look like it'll work to me. Like you, I prefer the look and feel of the Comfort Grip wheel, and if it doesn't work, I can take the stuff back and no harm, no foul. This is one time I'm lucky I know someone who will allow me to experiment and it won't cost me anything. And yes--the walnut, rosewood and Comfort Grip wheels require a special  hub and trim. They were their own animal.

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »
I prefer the look and feel of the Comfort Grip wheel, and if it doesn't work, I can take the stuff back and no harm, no foul. This is one time I'm lucky I know someone who will allow me to experiment and it won't cost me anything. And yes--the walnut, rosewood and Comfort Grip wheels require a special  hub and trim. They were their own animal.

Yea it is a nice situation to be in certainly - especially if'in you don't have to try and return it cross borders, through customs, and endure ridiculous shipping charges after doing all of that to even get it in the first place.
Please pass along what you find in your trials to get one in place - I'm all ears as to how you view the finished fit and dimension changes since you basically have a side by side comparison going on. Even to the point of posting a picture or two if you get the chance to actually show just how good it probably looks. I have a black 712 interior and I feel a comfort grip deal would look great in that situation.
My thinking is it would sort of blend in like a regular wheel would with just a bit more splash to dress everything up a bit - sort of like when you see a car sometimes that really catches your attention and you know that there was something done to it to make it different but just can't quite put your finger immediately on what it is - sort of thing...

Thanks for your response. - Randy

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 03:03:37 PM »
Hot Rod - did you ever try the '69 variation of the Comfort Grip well to see how it fit? 
If so what were your impressions of how it fits and looks with the shallower dish and does it make any big difference in the fit for the driver. I saw another article of a car with one installed in a '69 and it sure looked great and it prompted me to post again to you...  Thanks - Randy

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:17:09 AM »
Randy--that's the wheel I'm going to use. There was no Comfort Grip '68 wheel. In fact, I'm picking the stuff up tomorrow! There is no more than an inch difference in depth to the driver if you use the '68 walnut wheel hub, which is not as shallow as the '69 hub. How it will seem once installed in the car remains to be seen....chuckle. I simply like the black wheel better than the walnut '68 wheel. I'm covered up with a hundred other things, but I'll let ya know as soon as I put it on. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll work. 

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 02:00:45 PM »
Randy--that's the wheel I'm going to use. There was no Comfort Grip '68 wheel. In fact, I'm picking the stuff up tomorrow! There is no more than an inch difference in depth to the driver if you use the '68 walnut wheel hub, which is not as shallow as the '69 hub. How it will seem once installed in the car remains to be seen....chuckle. I simply like the black wheel better than the walnut '68 wheel. I'm covered up with a hundred other things, but I'll let ya know as soon as I put it on. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll work. 

Thanks for getting back - I'd be curious to know what you think of it when it is installed. I too love the look of the black rim on those wheels verses the wood style - it's too bad someone deosn't choose to reproduce them exactly to the '68 dimensions because I think they could be quite popular and a good alternative to the rosewood or walnut repros if the price was decent. I'm assuming they could be produced for the same or less than the repro wood style ones as the graining and detaiing etc wouldn't be necessary in the black comfort grip type and should make it less problematic to produce.
I'd be interested in hearing of your impressions once it is in place.       Randy

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 02:53:11 AM »
   Okay, fellows--tonight I got around to trying the '69 Comfort Grip wheel on my '68. Worked like a charm and looks fantastic! The key is in using the '67-'68 hub which is not as shallow as the '69 hub. The difference in the distance away from the driver is almost imperceptible--in fact, I'd say it's more driver-friendly. The '69 wheel is also a tad bit smaller in diameter than the stock wheel, making the steering feel a little more quick. As a bonus, I can see the tach and speedometer and gas gauge better!
   If you have a '67-'68 walnut wheel already and want to change to the '69 black wheel, it couldn't be any more simple: unscrew the walnut wheel and replace it with the Comfort Grip. The hub bolt patterns are all the same, as is the horn cap. Interestingly enough, Chevelles use the exact same parts--even the hub.
   I hope this will help someone, and I have to say I'm elated with the wheel--how it looks, feels and drives.

Fastorange

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »

Not to hi jack some ones post or to get off topic but i just picked up a 67. it seems that the steering wheel is to big for me. i really have to push my legs down in to the seat to slide them under. I have the seat back as far as it will go. the car doesn't have  tilt.  Is there anything i can do before i have to put a tilt column in?  And if i have to do so will this one work? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=IDT%2D1120680010&N=700+4294848923+4294908216+4294908198+4294925084+4294867929+115&autoview=sku

69 4 Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 02:00:33 AM »
I've got the same problem with my 69 but I'm 6'2.  Just too long in the legs.   

I've seen  extended seat tracks on ebay that lets your seat go back another couple of inches but I've not bought them.  If I drove the car more requently, I might invest in them. 

You might go to ebay and search for seat extenders.              Jim

PANTHER-BUFF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 09:20:33 AM »
I've got the same problem with my 69 but I'm 6'2.  Just too long in the legs.  

I've seen  extended seat tracks on ebay that lets your seat go back another couple of inches but I've not bought them.  If I drove the car more requently, I might invest in them. 

You might go to ebay and search for seat extenders.              Jim

The extended seat tracks are the trick.  I have had a set on my last two Camaros.  Bought them from a guy on EBAY with a screen name like nitrorat. They are OEM quality - nice pieces. I'm 6 foot 235lbs and I still have two twist a little two get under the wheel, but I could not do without the seat extenders. Tilt wheel is a bonus though.

Found them:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-1968-and-1969-Firebird-Camaro-seat-extenders_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem200311087322QQitemZ200311087322QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Well worth the money! :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:31:55 AM by PANTHER-BUFF »
Danny