Author Topic: Rear end gear  (Read 4346 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
Rear end gear
« on: March 04, 2006, 08:11:33 PM »
 :-\ CRG! Once again I need the expertise of CRG. I am contemplating changing the rear gear in my 67 Camaro. Presently I have a 3:08, which is no doubt extremely nice for cruisning down the highway at a lower rpm, good gas mileage but terrible on the front end response from a light or lower speed. I don't want to go to the extreme of a quick response and loose the crusing rpms and gas mileage. In everyones expert opinion, what gearing would you choose to gain some front end response without loosing to much of the crusing rpm and gas mileage? I know there will be a trade off but I want to keep it to a minimum. Something like maybe 3:42 or 3:55???? Oh yea I have a  350 4bbl and 2spd powerglide. I just put Flowtech headers on

Thanks

dab67                                   

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
Re: Rear end gear
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 09:54:05 PM »
If the rearend is original, have you considered a different torque converter?  You never have to admit it and it can definitely help low speed acceleration.  Don't get carried away, a 2000 RPM converter will be inexpensive and really help.  Probably less work than going through the rearend anyway.  If you are going to a higher speed converter, DO NOT forget that there will be additional heat load at the transmission, especially at low vehicle speeds--adding an aftermarket trans cooler is always a benefit for transmission durability and lifespan.  Dave