Author Topic: 68 Z28 Intake Manifold Bolts!  (Read 8358 times)

1968 Z28

• View Profile
68 Z28 Intake Manifold Bolts!
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:16:01 PM »
Trying to put my original '68 302 engine back together (has been out of the car for 30 years) and I am trying to come up with the right bolts for the intake manifold.  I can see where you would possibly need longer bolts for the lift brackets, smog pump bracket, and the alternator bracket which would leave seven shorter bolts.  After going through my old original bolts all I could come up with were three 3/8 16 x 1 1/8 with a "WB" on the bolt head, silver painted heads with orange over spray and three 3/8 x 16 1 1/2 with an "A" on the bolt head, no paint.  So it looks like I am missing a few.  Does anyone know the correct lengths of the various bolts as well as the correct markings and finish.  I have seen several bolt kits advertised but they all seem to have bolts the same length and are silver cad finished.  So I thought someone with an original car might know this information.   BTW....my car is a third month of July '68 build, late built cars seem to be different sometimes.

One other thing....I have seen questions on the color of the lift brackets and most everyone says they were orange, well mine were painted silver.  Anyone have knowledge as to the correct color?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Sonet
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

john302

• View Profile
Re: 68 Z28 Intake Manifold Bolts!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:15:27 AM »
I own a 07c  68z that has never had the intake off it. Call me 9063371025 home number  9063373928 days  John

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:19:55 AM »
Here is my '68 Z28 with 22,000 original miles, original paint, interior and plug wires.  I am the second owner and have owned it since 1990.  The engine lift hook bolts are longer and have a shouldered hex end.  I will check the others when I have a minute.

Jerry

john302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:56:18 PM »
Hello , Looked at the intake bolts today. Here is what I found  RSC non shoulder eight of them, WB with a shoulder on the two lift hooks, A head bolts non shoulder on the two that hold the smog bracket. The A head bolts for the smog bracket are longer. Another interesting thing is the eight RSC non shoulder bolts are black phosphate. All of the other bolts look either bare steel or silver zinc plated. The thermostat housing bolts are CP for the longer one and TR for the shorter one. I have seen Wb for the thermostat housing longer bolt also.  John

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:01:06 AM »
Hello John.....thanks for your time and trouble.  With this information I think I can find the remainder of my bolts at AMK.  This information also confirms my belief that on these last month cars that they used about anything they could find to piece the car together....LOL
Hey thanks again,
Jerry
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »
Trying to put my original '68 302 engine back together (has been out of the car for 30 years) and I am trying to come up with the right bolts for the intake manifold.  I can see where you would possibly need longer bolts for the lift brackets, smog pump bracket, and the alternator bracket which would leave seven shorter bolts.  After going through my old original bolts all I could come up with were three 3/8 16 x 1 1/8 with a "WB" on the bolt head, silver painted heads with orange over spray and three 3/8 x 16 1 1/2 with an "A" on the bolt head, no paint.  So it looks like I am missing a few.  Does anyone know the correct lengths of the various bolts as well as the correct markings and finish.  I have seen several bolt kits advertised but they all seem to have bolts the same length and are silver cad finished.  So I thought someone with an original car might know this information.   BTW....my car is a third month of July '68 build, late built cars seem to be different sometimes.

One other thing....I have seen questions on the color of the lift brackets and most everyone says they were orange, well mine were painted silver.  Anyone have knowledge as to the correct color?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Sonet
Well I finally ordered some bolts from AMK Inc. for the intake manifold and here is what I came up with.
          10 ea. of 3/8" - 16 x 1 1/4" bright zinc plating with (TR) markings (AMK # B-10137, similar to GM #304722, phosphate or #180124 zinc)
          2   ea. of 3/8" - 16 x 1 1/4" flanged bright zinc with (A) markings  (AMK # B-10084, similar to GM #3828782 zinc)  These two are for the engine lift brackets.

Already received them and they look great.

Sonet
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles