Author Topic: My Mystery '67 Camaro  (Read 28356 times)

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
My Mystery '67 Camaro
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:36:34 AM »
Greetings, All

My wife and I just picked up our first Camaro project car, a '67. I have restored a couple of Datsun 240Z's in the past, and this is my first American project. I've wanted a muscle car since I was a teenager, and now I finally have her!

My '67 spent some time as a drag car, although it's relatively unmolested. Decoding the trim tag reveals that it was born as a medium emerald turquoise car with a matching deluxe turqouise interior, no AC, 3 speed on the floor, Z21 and Z23 packages. As I disassemble the car, though, I am finding a lot of gold paint, in places that I don't think a repaint would have touched, like underneath the rain gutter brightwork. I figure if, at one point, someone loved the car enough to repaint it extremely well, that it may not have wound up in its current state of project-ness.

Which do I believe - the trim tag or the paint? I guess the car could be a mismatch of parts (as it currently has a black AC dash with no tach) - perhaps it has a firewall from another car, including the trim tag?

Any light you guys can shed on my Mystery Camaro would be appreciated!

Robert

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
Re: My Mystery '67 Camaro
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 01:06:04 AM »
Going to need the VIN and all the info on the body plate to detemine if they match up.

Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 01:17:03 AM »
OK, VIN and plate information.

There is no VIN on the driver's side door jamb.  What I have is from underneath the cowl.  I don't know much about this "hidden" VIN, but it is msising the first few digits of the VIN - I am not sure if that's normal for this position or not.  It reads

7L160971

The cowl tag is as such:

06D               A28
67-12637       LOS-20606
779-Z            K-K
2B 3SK

Thanks!

Robert

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 04:55:29 AM »
Are you sure on the VIN?
If the VIN is right, then believe the gold cause the tag is not original to the car.... :(

And missing the VIN tag is a big problem..... Did you get a title?
Kurt S
CRG

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:30:29 AM »
Hey Kurt, thanks for the reply.  I am sure that the VIN is what I read off of the piece underneath the cowl panel.  I am assuming that it's missing the "12437" before the "7" that designates a '67 model and subsequently the "L" for Los Angeles.  How can you tell that (assimung the VIN is correct) based on the VIN, the tag isn't correct?

No, I did not get a title, only a bill of sale.  The title, according to the previous owner, has been long gone.  The car has been on a drag strip for a while, so I am assuming that, being a drag car, a title was't as important to them.  I had planned on contacting an auto title company to see what I needed to get a title.  I can see where, on the driver's door hinge area, the VIN tag had been.

Are there any more "hidden" VINs on the car?

Thanks,

Robert

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 05:41:09 PM »
Robert,
  Can you relook at the cowl tag?  Are you sure that the top line says "06D               A28"?
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 06:39:21 PM »
I am pretty sure about it, but I will check again when I get home.

With regard to the VIN, assuming that the cowl VIN is correct, is there a way to get a reproduction VIN tag made for the OEM location?

Thanks for all the help!

Robert

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:04:23 PM »
Nope, that would not be legall..
 A missing VIN plate should be a red flag.......

Don't spend another dime on the car till you get the VIN and a title.  You are going to have kiss a lot of butt with your police and motor vehicle dept to get this fixed if its even possible.  Usually they won't even look at something that is not road worthy.

Not having a title can be a big problem and no VIN plate makes it worse.  A car you want to avoid IMO.  If you can get your money back I would do it.

For a bill of sale to be legal, it must have the cars VIN on it as well as the seller and buyers name/address etc, + be notorized.  Me thinks the bill of sale you have is worthless as nothing proves its for that car.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 09:17:15 PM by Z71 »
Mike
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 09:19:28 PM »
There has to be a way to do this.  I have a partial VIN beginning with the date code "7" and the trim tag.  What do automotive title places actually do for you, anyway?  Does anyone know what I would have to provide to be issued a new title?  I am in Texas, btw.

Robert

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 09:47:54 PM »
Confirm the #'s and let us know.

You don't know if the VIN is for a L6 or V8.

Might be able to get a title thru one of those companies.
Then you might be able to get new tag (not easy to do).

Or just get a state assigned VIN.

Me, I would have passed on it.....
Kurt S
CRG

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 11:21:07 PM »
OK, I went back out in the garage, and I am sure that it says "06D             A28" in the top row. 

Apprently I can get a title after a waiting period from the state, but I have to know the VIN first.  That's 1/2 of a piece of good news. 

With the benefit of hindsight, I may have passed on it too.  I didn't, though.  However, it's quite clean and intact, and I figured it would be a great starting point for a restoration. 

Robert
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 11:36:25 PM by Wazoo151 »

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 12:18:16 AM »
I say check both hidden vins to see if they match. Then contact the police to see if the car was stolen and not recovered. I know thats taking a chance but its better to know now than after you put many more thousands in the car. If its not stolen then getting a title will just take some time. The other vin is under the heater blower or in that general area

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 03:33:34 AM »
I say check both hidden vins to see if they match. Then contact the police to see if the car was stolen and not recovered. I know thats taking a chance but its better to know now than after you put many more thousands in the car. If its not stolen then getting a title will just take some time. The other vin is under the heater blower or in that general area

Well, I am not one to give up very easily.  I really like this car, and it is very worthy of restoration.  Worst case, I can get a reissued VIN from the state, and register it that way. 

Where exactly is the heater blower?  Remember, I am a Camaro newb.  I looked where I would hide if I were a blower motor, but there's nothing up under there.  Probably unneccessary to an amateur drag car.  Can you be more specific?  Maybe take a picture of where yours is?  Do all 1st gen Camaros have a VIN here?

Thanks,

Robert

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 01:07:50 PM »
Here is where to look

Mike
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 02:49:37 PM »
Thanks, Z, for the picture - I don't see your Camaro listed in your sig, though. :)  I will look for this tonight when I get home, as long as I can get the fenders off this evening. 

Other than the VIN, what else can I look for to determine whether or not this was a 6 cylinder or 8?  It has had a v8 in it recently (per the previous owner and the owner before).  Fuel lines?  Holes in the firewall? 

I think this weekend I may try and drop the fuel tank out - maybe there's a build sheet on top of it.  After nearly 40 years, it's doubtful, but the tank needs to come out anyway.

Thanks for all the info,

Robert