Author Topic: Technically Correct Powerglide.  (Read 11320 times)

blownonfuel

• View Profile
Technically Correct Powerglide.
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:07:58 AM »
I would like to get my 68 rs/ss 350/glide Camaro back as close to period correct as possible. When I bought it back in 84 it did not have the original engine or trans in it. I am in the process of buying pieces here and there to get it back to it's original condition. What should I look for in a powerglide trans as far as dates and so forth? What would be considered correct for my car? It was built in the 3rd week of February. I don't know if it makes a difference but the car has a/c,pb (drum),ps.

Thanks as always.

jonboy1216

• View Profile
Re: Technically Correct Powerglide.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:23:15 AM »
im in the same boat but i have the original trans and rearend  i am just missing the engine.what kind of rearend is in your car?

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »
I have a 69 PG, that I want to get rid of :)  Where you located?

blownonfuel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:58:36 PM »
im in the same boat but i have the original trans and rearend  i am just missing the engine.what kind of rearend is in your car?

12 bolt mutlileaf. That's probably the only thing original in the drivetrain. Is there any way to tell if is?

blownonfuel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
I have a 69 PG, that I want to get rid of :)  Where you located?

Thanks for the offer Kevin. I'm in Texas, San Marcos to be exact. Inbetween San Antonio and Austin.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
Too bad, I'm in NJ, heck of a drive :)

blownonfuel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
Too bad, I'm in NJ, heck of a drive :)

A little toooo long. Thanks though.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 01:59:11 AM »
Where in NJ?
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »
Tom, Central NJ near great adventure.  You need a spare :)

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 02:55:50 AM »
Just curious. I'm in Brick. My glide is working, and I believe original. The plan is eventually to slip in a 2004r, and store the glide.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 04:22:07 AM »

12 bolt mutlileaf. That's probably the only thing original in the drivetrain. Is there any way to tell if is?
See the following link to locate the date code on your differential housing. Then post the numbers here to see if the date lines up with the build date of the car.
http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#RearAxleNumbers
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 02:52:06 PM »
Tom, that is exactly what I am doing too!  I picked up a second glide to try to correct the shift points many years ago, but never started.  2nd gear went away in my rebuilt glide, then I put the car in the paint shop for 3 years.  Now that it is out, time to do something with the trans.  I started collecting them (for this car) and have 1 spare glide, a th350, and TWO 86 monte SS CZF 200r4s!  I just picked up one in howell with 90k on it.  I hope to just freshen up that one (with new converter and filter, etc) and install it.  I currently have my SS350 q-jet engine in my 327 car, so I can use the BTO TV system.  But when I stick the original 2bbl 327 engine back in, you and I will have the same issue.  BTO only makes TV systems for 2bbl pontiacs.  Its on my list to talk to them about 2bbl chevs.  When I get around to ordering the TV system, I and going to try to get the 2bbl parts included, so I dont have to rebuy the whole kit.  BTW, if you have a low rear 2.x or 3.08, 3.31 rear you will have issues with the 200r4.  The are made to go behind a 3.73 rear.  I have a 3.55 rear in my car and I hope it is high enough for the shift points to be close. Luck!  You can email me if you want to talk further.

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »
Kevin, I'm also swapping out the 2bbl for a TPI system from an 87 firebird. Got most of the system at Carlisle, still need a piece or two. Yes I beleive my rear is 2.x, but the TPI should add a bit of torque, and help down low.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

blownonfuel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 03:12:39 AM »

See the following link to locate the date code on your differential housing. Then post the numbers here to see if the date lines up with the build date of the car.
http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#RearAxleNumbers

Thanks Gary

anything