Author Topic: 68' RS/SS?  (Read 3791 times)

Jason68?

• View Profile
68' RS/SS?
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:21:21 PM »
I just bought a 68' Camaro and the guy I bought it from has rebuilt many Camaros before.  He told me that it was a RS/SS.  The only #'s I have is the VIN.  The car doesnt have an engine and the fenders, taillights, window trim have already been replaced.  Is there anyway that i can tell is my car is actually the RS/SS like i was told?  I'd hate to put alot of money into rebuilding the car back to what its supose to be  and to findout later that its not really what I thought it was.  Can ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME??

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
Re: 68' RS/SS?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:53:40 PM »
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »
Pretty hard to tell on a 68...
You need to start gathering the other #s you can find.  Start with Colvin's Chevrolet By the Numbers and look at the CRG bibliography and other info. about researching #s.

Are you saying the car doesn't have a cowl tag on the firewall?  Although the 68 cowl tag doesn't have much info., you could at least tell if the car was originally a V-8.  And if it doesn't have a cowl tag and any original paperwork, you have no good way of telling...
Also look here:
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml
And here, etc.
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#CowlTag

At any rate, you got to start researching #s.  There's all kinds of helpful info. here.  Just start looking...  And ask plenty of questions here at CRG under Decoding and Originality.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:39:08 AM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 02:54:36 AM »
The easiest way to tell if a car is an RS is to remove the reverse lights on the rear lower tailpan.  Look to see if the hole is a factory cut hole or just a hole cut out.  The factory cut hole is very specific with an opening that is NOT just a rectangle and separate holes for the studs.  I don't have a pic, but I am sure you can find one on the internet or if you buy a Camaro book.  In fact, I bet someone here can post a pic of a factory reverse light opening. 

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 11:20:36 AM »
Jason - If it was delivered in Canada, GM Canada has records by vin. If not, the best way to verify is to ask an expert. It will cost you for an opinion, so do some research yourself first. There is a load of info on this site, and a few experts as well. If you ever decide to sell it, an experts report could be used as evidence of what you have. 
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o