Author Topic: Reinstalling front springs  (Read 4169 times)

heckler

• View Profile
Reinstalling front springs
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:19:04 AM »
When installing front springs in my '67 it states to install the spring 3/8 inch from the "spring stop."  What stop are they refering to?  Are they referring to the hole located at the top of where the spring sits on the top control arm? 

Fischer manual states 3/8 inch   +/-   1/8 inch.....from the spring stop.

Any experience?

Thanks....Mike

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
Re: Reinstalling front springs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 05:53:59 PM »
The spring does not contact the upper arm. I believe they are talking about the spring pocket in the lower control arm, you should see an indentation in the pocket that resembles the end of the spring.
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 07:30:55 PM »
The top of the spring gets located in the pocket in the frame first. Location is not determined by the hole or pocket in the lower control arm.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:12:09 PM »
I believe they are talking about the spring pocket in the lower control arm, you should see an indentation in the pocket that resembles the end of the spring.

Nope. The TOP end of the spring is to be located 3/8" from the formed step in the spring seat in the upper pocket in the subframe, as shown in the Assembly Manual; the hole in the recess in the lower control arm is for water drainage. Ignore where the lower end of the spring winds up in the lower control arm.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG