Author Topic: Vins dont match  (Read 9650 times)

My67baby

• View Profile
Vins dont match
« on: March 02, 2006, 02:47:19 PM »
I have a '67 Camaro.  I don't have the Vin number with me, but I recall that the Vin number on the car and on the title don't exactly match.  One has a letter N in the middle and the other has the letter H.  If I recall from past research the letter H doesn't exist as a factory.  Can you help me?  What kind of problems will this cause when I try to get this car legal?  What can I do to get the problem corrected.  I think the title has the wrong letter on it, but its been a while since I've looked at either the car or the title.  Please help. 

Farm Boy

• View Profile
Re: Vins dont match
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 03:54:51 PM »
I imagine you will have to take the car down to the DMV office so they can verify the numbers on the car before they will issue a replacement title without the typo. This should be easy, but when dealing with the DMV you never know.
Steve

My67baby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:06:27 PM »
Thanks. 

My67baby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:15:58 PM »
One more question, should the DMV know that its simply a typo or will I need to provide information such as that provided on this site to support my request to correct it?

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 05:18:21 PM »
I had that happen to me once. It was an error by the DMV and I didnt catch it while I was there. I had to have a police check the correct vin of the car and it was corrected when I took the signed copy back to the  DMV. Of course I had to pay another $25.00 for a corrected title even though it wasnt my fault. Leason learned.....check the information BEFORE you leave the DMV office.
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 01:28:04 AM »
One more question, should the DMV know that its simply a typo or will I need to provide information such as that provided on this site to support my request to correct it?
   ...You shouldn't have any problems with DMV on this. It always helps to have supporting information (so have it in hand), ...but since the 'digit' in question here is the letter "N" (mistyped as an "H"), ...it's easy to explain since for that character position, ...there were only two choices, ..."L" or "N", ...and you're not dealing with the last six digits, ...which are the unique identifiers for your car.

Kevin

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 01:11:03 PM »
I too had the a problem with a VIN mistype by the DMV.  I noticed the mistake as I was buying the car and told the seller he had to get it corrected before I would pay him for it.  When I called the DMV a lady told me I would just have to fill out a form.  No matter if its a simple plant ID letter L for N etc, means absolutey nothing to the DMV. A error is an error and laws govern how they can be corrected.  No matter that he had his old bill of sale from the used cars dealer, they would not make the correction without a police investigation.  Told us it was state law with private sales.

It sounded easy as she explained it but it took several days to get a cop to come do it.  Before they (State DMV Michigan) would correct the title, they had to have the police verify the vehicle matched the title. Lucky for me (I think) the police officer who came to my house to do this (rural sheriff) had never done it before.  He had to run a wants and warrrants on me and cehck to see if car was stolen. Without the police filled form, the DMV would not do anything but issue the title with the error.

They could make you haul the vehicle in and they will go over it with a fine tooth comb before the will give you the paperwork. It all depends on where you live and how the treat these things.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 01:19:42 PM by Z71 »
Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

anything