Author Topic: rear leaf spring shackles - who's selling the original factory installed style?  (Read 4153 times)

Grsmnkey

• View Profile
Hey everybody,

The last time I bought a set of shackles, everyone was selling the wider service replacement parts with the longer shouldered bolts.  I've hunted around a couple of sites, but have not found any new information.  Does anyone know if the higher grade set sold by Rick's or Heartbeat city are the correct (original) width with the shorter shouldered bolts?  I actually just need the bolts, but a couple of years ago NPD only had the longer bolts that would fit a service replacement shackle.

thanks

mrdetails

• View Profile
Hello: I used the high grade ones from Rick's. If by width you mean thickness the metal bkt. is about 1/8" thick. The shoulder bolt is just long enough for the bolt. Hope this helps.

Good luck..

Grsmnkey

• View Profile
Hey,

Thanks for the answer.  By width I mean overall width of the entire shackle.  The service replacement ones and the early repros used longer bolts.  The bolt shoulders were also longer, that's what caused the width of the shackle (from end plate to end plate) to be slightly wider.  To compensate the bushings were slightly different.

I think it was actually the style shackle that was used on 1970 and up Camaros.  I'm just looking for a shackle kit so I can use the bolts with my original shackles and NOS bushings.

Thanks

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
Try GM part #10003072 shackle kit. It is the service replacement kit.
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn