Author Topic: Muncie 4 spd. oil?  (Read 11276 times)

snowballfisher

• View Profile
Muncie 4 spd. oil?
« on: March 01, 2006, 12:22:00 AM »
I was just wondering what type of oil is reccomended for the Muncie 4spd?  Mine is dry but it smells like 80/90 gear oil.  Anyone?

jj69z28

• View Profile
Re: Muncie 4 spd. oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 11:17:51 AM »
after a freshening of the bearings,sychro's, and such i put RedLine MT-90 in mine.
Rally Green 69 Z/28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 04:29:11 PM »
They work just fine with the lube they were originally designed, developed, and durability-tested with; ordinary 75W90 or 80W90 gear lube. Don't use a lube that contains a Posi friction-modifier additive - it will slow down the synchronizer action.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

snowballfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 01:04:58 AM »
Okay.  Thanks guys.  I just picked up some 80/90W from O'Reilly's.  Wow, that stuff has gone up right along with everything else I guess.  I hope I didn't tear up this tranny going down the street and back.  I knew I should have checked it first, but figured that it at least had some oil in it.  I got the inside scoop last night though and I think this might have been a sabatoge type situation by the guy who worked on this car last.  I think he was wanting the tranny to shell, then have the car brought back to him, just so he could lowball her on the price and pick up this '68 RS/SS 396 for a song.  The nerve of some people.  This guy has a reputation in our small town for other such situations.

anything