Author Topic: vinyl top attachement?  (Read 5242 times)

heckler

• View Profile
vinyl top attachement?
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:48:28 PM »
Have '67 camaro and when removing the paint fpnd that car was originally a soft top.  The holes were still there, but filled with bondo.  And they are all "holes.". What were they originally suppose to be?  I don't believe rear trim was suppose to be all holes.  Anyone know the original attachement process?  Also where to get the original ten piece for the vinyl top that goes in the drip channel?

Thank you!

Mike

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: vinyl top attachement?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:54:39 PM »
The clips for vinyl top moldings were originally attached to the body with weld-studs, applied in the Body Shop with Nelson stud-weld guns; if you found holes in the body for the clips, the top may have been added by a dealer.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »
or the weld on studs rotted off.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Grsmnkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »

Besides the studs that the plastic clips fit on, there are 4 holes.  Maybe about 1/8" diameter?  They are located on the "corner" of each side.  One hole on the quarter panel and one hole on the filler panel, per side.  The chrome has two (slide in) clips (with studs attached) per side.  The studs are slipped into the holes and nuts are screwed on from inside the trunk. 

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:53:33 AM »
what of it being added by dealer?  Decoding the plate tells me it was a vinyl top.  Can I assume it Ce fe the plant this way since the plate has the code on it for vinyl top?  Is those any chance the plant drilled holes instead of using studs.

Thanks for the help guys.....trying to decide to put the top back or leave it off.  I persoanally like the top because it will break up all the butternut color.

Mike

RAfbody

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:29:41 AM »
I agree with you.  Butternut Yellow with a black top is one of my favorite combinations.  Put the top back on.
Russ

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »
A lot of time has passed. Top may have been replaced at some point. broken studs mave have been drilled and replaced.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Grsmnkey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »
If this picture comes out all right, it will give you an idea of how the studs and holes look.