Author Topic: How do I remove and install the stainless drip molding on my 69?  (Read 10622 times)

wtexz10

• View Profile
How do I remove and install the stainless drip molding on my 69?
« on: February 12, 2006, 04:22:06 AM »
I would like to remove my drip molding on my 69 so that I can polish it.  Can someone tell me how to remove it and reinstall it with our damage?

Thanks,

Kris  :-\
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

fiveforty

• View Profile
Re: How do I remove and install the stainless drip molding on my 69?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 02:15:23 PM »
I've never had that good of luck removing and installing those. If it was me I think, being in the location they are in I would polish them on the car. Goodluck.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 03:28:11 PM »
If you are just talking about rubbing polish on it, then I agree with fiveforty.  You can take a paint shield (or a piece of cardboard) if you are afriad to get the polish on your paint.
But if you are talking about refinishing the molding, a friend of mine just took his off to be professionally redone.  He said to be very careful of the ends and any points where it joins together, in order to not mess up the fit.  Also, don't use pliers with rough edges and scratch the molding.  Make sure the molding doesn't get too bent out of its original shape, or you might put a crimp in it. He also found some wax and dirt buildup under the molding, which he compounded off.
Take your time... and good luck
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 02:55:59 AM »
If there is anyway to leave them on and polish in place, do that.
These can be a ball buster to get off without messing up!  FORGET the urge to use pliers. I have had good luck with bumping them off with a piece of hardwood, maple or cherry work well. Make a fresh cut on a table saw so you have a good sharp edge, a 10 to 12" long 1x2 and maybe a narrower one for the curved part at the back window.
 With the windows down, and from inside the car, hold the wood block squarley on the lower lip of that moulding and start from the front working aft and tap the block with a hammer and you should get it to start rolling off. It helps to have some help holding the moulding with slight tension to ease it off as you tap, and watch your paint. If you have a helper they can use a light twist to help the moulding along, It can get alittle tricky as you work the curved section. Work slow take your time.
                                                Good luck Mike  ;)
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

JohnKY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 06:18:48 AM »
If you have an old bottle opener (the kind with a can opener on the other end), it will take them off quickly and without any damage.

deejaygee

• View Profile
Re: How do I remove and install the stainless drip
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 04:32:17 PM »
If you have an old bottle opener (the kind with a can opener on the other end), it will take them off quickly and without any damage.

Get TWO of the old-style bottle cap openers. Wrap black electrical tape around the ROUND ends (not the pointy end), to avoid scratching or denting the moulding. GENTLY pry off the mouldings, starting with the L-shaped connector piece. Using two tools avoids twisting the moulding when you pry.

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 09:38:43 PM »
Thanks to all of you!  I've just about convinced myself to polish them on the car.  I fear I might mess them up.

Kris   :-[

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 06:18:26 AM »
Well, after considering my options and my fear of messing up my drip rail moldings, I decided to polish them on the car.  Just for those who might want to do this, I used my Dremel with a flexible cable drive.  I used a small cloth buffing wheel with white buffing rouge.  Total time to polish both sides, 1.5 hours. 
They look much better!  :D

Regards,
Kris

anything