Author Topic: Radiator Paint Chipping Off  (Read 10183 times)

nwbalddog

• View Profile
Radiator Paint Chipping Off
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »
I just obtained a restored 1969. It had about 600 miles since it was gone through, I now have placed about 300 miles on the car. The paint on the top of the radiator is flaking off exposing bare metal. Should I pull the radiator and strip as much as possible and paint again. Do we suspect the paint was not high heat paint and that is why this ocurring?
Thanks
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Radiator Paint Chipping Off
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »
If it was a repo radiator the paint and processs they use is not always best. I got lucky with SOME of them. It's best to DP-90 the bare radiator and then paint. Whatever the case, the removal of the existing failing finish is necessary followed by proper painting procedures. I've yet to have one fail.

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:07:39 PM »
Eastwood markets a very good radiator paint..be carefull not to get it on the fins to thick.

Good luck

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »
I suspect I need to sand or strip the exisitng paint off? At least the most visible areas, like on top?...do I need to do the entire radiator?
Thanks all
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »
A.) yes B.) no

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »
One thing, be very carefull about the thickness of the paint in the fins. If it gets to thick your radiator might not cool as good.

Good luck

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »
I am finally ready to obtain the paint and prep...this is a galvanized metal that this paint is chipping off. Do I need to scuff up the metal w/ like a green pad a little after I strip as much as possibe? Since it is galvanized metal, do i need to prime it?
Eastwood has Underhood Black Semi Gloss Aerosol 12 oz..10024 Z is this what a proper color application?
Thanks
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:29 PM »
I have chipped of the paint and wet sanded w/ 400 grit. This is the top of the radiator. What is my best paint to rattle can on at this point. Do I need to prime or just degrease and clean well, then paint w/ an underhood semio-gloss? I see most can take 250 degrees, is this OK for hte top of my radiator? Thanks, I am hoping to get this done for my 1st car show. I saw the Eastwood, but the shipping was as much as a can of paint...does NAPA carry any comprable quality i can find locally or ideas in Seattle area?

Thanks
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »
Radiators were full gloss. Use epoxy primer first and then paint it. I generally don't shoot from a spray can but Rustoleum should treat you well. As far as superior adhesion a zinc chromate primer is best. No need to buy products from Eastwood. That's what paint suppy stores are for. They'll probably have your full gloss spray bomb too; although not Rustoleum. Mine does. My own radiator has 14K miles on it with epoxy as a substrate. No flaking.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:35:06 PM »
I have never seen or heard of a galvanized radiator. Originals were brass and copper. Most new ones are aluminum and plastic. If your radiator was worked on by a radiator shop their paint quality is really poor, it's thinned with napthaline sp? Your question of stripping and useing a good quality paint should fix the rpoblem.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 01:26:21 AM »
I'll take a shot and say the reference is to the solder; the galvanized statement simply being being a Freudian slip.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
The radiator CORE is copper, and the side tanks are brass; the top and bottom rails that tie the tanks together are steel, and the side brackets where it's bolted to the radiator support are steel.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »
It is the top only, steel, appeared to be galvanized in appearance , I must have been wrong. I have almost sanded all to the metal, will search for paint and hope to get it done. It seems that the metal where paint is chipping off had grease, so it was not properly cleaned or degreased. The radiator appears new. Maybe I will take some photos before I paint as it is now and after..
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »
I painted this w/ self etching primer, black, then with high gloss engine paint, turned out great, thanks. Found rattle cans at NAPA that met my needs, appreciate the input from all.
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

anything