Author Topic: Interior roof liner on a '67...installation?  (Read 3726 times)

heckler

• View Profile
Interior roof liner on a '67...installation?
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:29:58 AM »
Any tips on installing the headliner in a '67?  It is a very frustrating process.  Any tips from experience would be great.

Currently have it on a rotisserie I made which will help, but might not be able to take advantage of this due to my paint process.

Thanks for all your help ladies and gentlemen...

Mike

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Interior roof liner on a '67...installation?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 12:10:02 PM »
   It's easier to do than to explain in two sentences. If you are frustrated before you have begun as stated then you may have set yourself up for more of the same. It's really not difficult. It requires patience. I'm not sure why you cannot take advantage of your rotisserie but it doesn't matter. I'll touch on a few points, the headliner will "teach" you the rest. Get many vice grip clamps. Put screws in to locate any hardware mounting locations after install. Lay it out prior to installation to acclimate and flatten. Apply adhesive to both car and liner and let sit(obvious?). Pull the front and back taught at middle. Work in increments outward. Applying cement as you go at times. You'll have to slice the bow sleeves back. You simply have to work the perimeter slowly re-adjusting as you go. The part that requires patience and more working is the tack strip where the sail panel is. Sometimes pulling it taught there and using widemouth clamps helps. Install trim moldings an voila! Believe it or not any small wrinkles will dissipate. Contact cement is cooperative. You can re-adjust required areas. The moldings can be pulled off in places and the liner pulled tighter as needed. Then just push them back on. 
   You will get a multitude of on-line techniques. Patience and self observation are the key elements.

heckler

• View Profile
Re: Interior roof liner on a '67...installation?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 12:31:50 AM »
Thank you...

Mike